BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, issues with my 2002 330ci. I've had the Check Engine light for some time, all the codes point to something going on in the evap system. I'm in VA, so I'm not too worried about emissions, just want the light to go away! I had a shop change a bunch of my inner engine hoses as the car was running rough (5 of them in the middle of the engine), and while that fixed the rough running, it didn't fix the PO441 code, it keeps coming back. So we changed the evap solenoid. The light came back on my drive home. So I changed my gas cap. This time I made it to work, then to the store after work, then the light came back on my way from the store to home.
Issue #2--seems I have a small leak around my power steering reservoir. I've cleaned it, replaced a hose clamp and an o-ring, still seems like it's there. I'm not entirely sure it's power steering fluid, but it seems to leave the (mostly) clear oily fluid on my garage floor about where the reservoir is.
Issue #3--when the weather gets hot, my brakes give me a high-pitched continual squeal UNLESS I push on the brake pedal. I've already replaced the non-return valve and the gasket at the top of the master cylinder, squeal is still there. Only in the hot weather though, and sometimes I can get it to go away just by hitting the side of the brake pedal instead of actually pushing on my brakes. Time for a new master cylinder, or is there an easier fix?
Many thanks in advance,
Spooner

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Hey all, issues with my 2002 330ci. I've had the Check Engine light for some time, all the codes point to something going on in the evap system. I'm in VA, so I'm not too worried about emissions, just want the light to go away! I had a shop change a bunch of my inner engine hoses as the car was running rough (5 of them in the middle of the engine), and while that fixed the rough running, it didn't fix the PO441 code, it keeps coming back. So we changed the evap solenoid. The light came back on my drive home. So I changed my gas cap. This time I made it to work, then to the store after work, then the light came back on my way from the store to home.

Issue #2--seems I have a small leak around my power steering reservoir. I've cleaned it, replaced a hose clamp and an o-ring, still seems like it's there. I'm not entirely sure it's power steering fluid, but it seems to leave the (mostly) clear oily fluid on my garage floor about where the reservoir is.

Issue #3--when the weather gets hot, my brakes give me a high-pitched continual squeal UNLESS I push on the brake pedal. I've already replaced the non-return valve and the gasket at the top of the master cylinder, squeal is still there. Only in the hot weather though, and sometimes I can get it to go away just by hitting the side of the brake pedal instead of actually pushing on my brakes. Time for a new master cylinder, or is there an easier fix?

Many thanks in advance,

Spooner
The P0441 code reads "EVAP Control System Incorrect Purge Flow." Is there a gas smell under the hood when you shut the engine off? What parts in this diagram did they replace? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BN53-USA-07-2000-E46-BMW-330Ci&diagId=13_0798.

#2: you need to verify what fluid is leaking. It could be oil leaking from the oil filter housing gasket. It could be oil leaking from the high pressure VANOS line. It could be one of the power steering hoses.

#3: what pads are on the car? Who installed them? Did the installer put some anti-squeal gunk (pink CRC Pad stuff is the best) on the back side of the pads? Does the car pull when applying the brakes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1--No gas smell under the hood, I believe in the diagram they replaced part #1, the Evap solenoid. Wondering if I need to go the expensive route and replace the carbon element next, or if someone has something else that they've found.
2--Roger. The oil I find on the garage floor is really clean, so I don't think it's engine oil (was changed recently, but not that recently). I'll look into VANOS line...
3--I did the brakes, and rotors, and sensors, etc. This isn't a brake pad squeal, it happens when the car is in park and idling, but again, only in the really hot weather. Maybe squeal is the wrong word, more like a high-pitched whistle that goes away with even the lightest pressure on the brake pedal. Sound is coming from the driver's side, forward, around the master cylinder area. I've since heard that there is a diaphragm or something inside the master cylinder that may be wearing out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake whistle sound was actually my brake booster. Removed and replaced, all good. Also think my oil leak is from the pan gasket, that'll be fun. Still can't crack the code on the SES light (having to do with emissions).

·
Registered
326 Posts
Brake whistle sound was actually my brake booster. Removed and replaced, all good. Also think my oil leak is from the pan gasket, that'll be fun. Still can't crack the code on the SES light (having to do with emissions).
Before changing the pan gasket, check the OFHG and CCV for leaks. Everything leaking in front of or on top of the oil pan will eventually go there. You could change the pan gasket and realize it was not leaking at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts