BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a 140km trip with my BMW E92 325d, I parked the car and was about to turn it off; then it came "ELV fault" "Engine will not start after shutdown".

I took out the key, closed the car, opened it, put in the key, and started the car. Everything was fine(but the ELV light is still there). I took the car on for long drive, to test it. Everything is fine. Only problem is that light, that wont go away.

Steering lock, etc works fine. There is honestly nothing wrong with it, so I don't get it.

Any tips? Anyone had the same problem before?

UPDATE:

This is how I fixed my problem for around 150$ totally.

I bought the ELV emulator at: https://www.avtotools.com/index.php?productID=437. Paid 100$ + shipping (15$ or somthing. Shipping took 4 days).

Close up pictures of the ELV emulator:

Installing the ELV emulator took me and my friend around 45min with a 20min break :)

1. We put in the key, and removed the negative pole on my battery.

2. Removed the panel with these three torx screws.

3. Removed the whole panel to make space for our self, so we could easier access the ELV contact.

4. This was the "hard part". It was kinda tricky to first find the ELV contact and then later unpluging it. But if your laying on your back, looking straight up and a littlebit to the right you'll see it. It looks just like this ->
. It was plugged in very hard, we tried to unplug it with our fingers but no luck. Then we decided to use a small plier that gave us much better grip ->
, with the plier it was fairly easy to remove it from the socket.

5. We pluged the ELV emulator in, it blinked orange for 1/2 seconds, covered it with some protection and tape; and taped it to some plastic so its not loose.

6. Replugged the battery and tested it, and we could hear that the ELV steeringlock mechanism was gone! :D

7. We meet up with a very kind guy from our town, he had equpiment for decoding etc. He removed the ELV failure from CAS and now its gone.

I'll update if I get the failure message up again. But the guy who removed the ELV failure told me that my car was in need of updates (Updates that would take aprox 6 hours and 30min), and that could have caused the problem.

After removing the battery, I have a "sos phone failure"-thingy. My bluetooth phone system does not work anymore, and he could not get in contact with it, with his equipment. Maybe a fuse has blown when reconnecting the battery? I don't know, i'll check tomorrow. Anyone here that have had "sos phone failure" after removing the battery?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
It will work for a few weeks then it will turn red and the car will not start and needs to be towed to dealer
... have it fixed asap

1.Someone here did a DIY but you take to take steering column out, unassemble the locking device, grease and put it back

2.repair : parts (steering column $900, labour $300-$400)

I took option 2 last time it happened to me

very common problem for pre-lci E9x

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
There is a DIY on E90post

There is a DIY on E90post
Replace upper steering column with lock is BMW's solution
about 1400 at the dealer
1100 at and Indy.
My Indy says he has done 5 of these so far.
The DIY on e90post shows you how to dissemble and clean.
There is a spoofing device that will tell the car the lock is
always working you can get from AVSTOOLS(in Russia) for about 110 delivered
or that is another place in Italy sells it for about 130 delivered.
You loose your lock but it cheaper than a grand . It takes about a month
to get it with cheap delivery(well in the US at least).

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Eventually, this error may prevent you from starting the car.

A faulty lock can cuase this error.

A low battery charge can also cause this error. A good amount of torque needs to be applied to the lock to release it. With a low charge, the battery won't be able to supply the current required to create this torque.

Have the battery load tested and see how it's performing. See if the fault goes away after replacing the battery (if it's bad).

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
OP went silent

when the problem happened to both of my E9x cars in one week

Had both battery chekced

and both locks were faulty

It's a very COMMON issue with pre-LCI

Post LCI they changed the lock module

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to an old neighbour today I meet at the gas station. After a while she told me that her 1series just had the same problem as me! (What an huge coincidence...?). She told me she had ELV failure like me, but everything worked fine.

She knew a guy in town that used a OBD-scanner to read and remove the error code, after removing the error code the fault was gone for her! I'll contact him tomorrow and see what happens to my car. I'll keep this tread alive, untill I find a solution.

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
I talked to an old neighbour today I meet at the gas station. After a while she told me that her 1series just had the same problem as me! (What an huge coincidence...?). She told me she had ELV failure like me, but everything worked fine.

She knew a guy in town that used a OBD-scanner to read and remove the error code, after removing the error code the fault was gone for her! I'll contact him tomorrow and see what happens to my car. I'll keep this tread alive, untill I find a solution.
>AHEM<

Gone for awhile, will revisit. Buy & install the permanent fix.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
like cancer

It will come back

you need to fix the locking mechanism

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
after a 140km trip with my bmw e92 325d, i parked the car and was about to turn it off; then it came "elv fault" "engine will not start after shutdown".

I took out the key, closed the car, opened it, put in the key, and started the car. Everything was fine(but the elv light is still there). I took the car on for long drive, to test it. Everything is fine. Only problem is that light, that wont go away.

Steering lock, etc works fine. There is honestly nothing wrong with it, so i don't get it.

Any tips? Anyone had the same problem before?

update:

this is how i fixed my problem for around 150$ totally.

I bought the elv emulator at: https://www.avtotools.com/index.php?productid=437. Paid 100$ + shipping (15$ or somthing. Shipping took 4 days).

Close up pictures of the elv emulator:

installing the elv emulator took me and my friend around 45min with a 20min break :)

1. We put in the key, and removed the negative pole on my battery.

2. Removed the panel with these three torx screws.

3. Removed the whole panel to make space for our self, so we could easier access the elv contact.

4. This was the "hard part". It was kinda tricky to first find the elv contact and then later unpluging it. But if your laying on your back, looking straight up and a littlebit to the right you'll see it. It looks just like this ->
. It was plugged in very hard, we tried to unplug it with our fingers but no luck. Then we decided to use a small plier that gave us much better grip ->
, with the plier it was fairly easy to remove it from the socket.

5. We pluged the elv emulator in, it blinked orange for 1/2 seconds, covered it with some protection and tape; and taped it to some plastic so its not loose.

6. Replugged the battery and tested it, and we could hear that the elv steeringlock mechanism was gone! :d

7. We meet up with a very kind guy from our town, he had equpiment for decoding etc. He removed the elv failure from cas and now its gone.

I'll update if i get the failure message up again. But the guy who removed the elv failure told me that my car was in need of updates (updates that would take aprox 6 hours and 30min), and that could have caused the problem.

After removing the battery, i have a "sos phone failure"-thingy. My bluetooth phone system does not work anymore, and he could not get in contact with it, with his equipment. Maybe a fuse has blown when reconnecting the battery? I don't know, i'll check tomorrow. Anyone here that have had "sos phone failure" after removing the battery?
update.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
If anyone actually does the official fix of installing the new steering column without the ELV locking mechanism and has the SZL coded, I'd like to see what ZB # they flash to the module.

Theoretically, you can just update your current SZL to the new ZB # and the ELV system will be removed...then just unplug the ELV lock in the column.

I've tried coding the ELV system out but it does not do anything. In CAS, there are values related to ELV that you can turn off. But like I said, they do not do anything and the system is still active.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
This is the best I can give you. It was taken with my iPhone 5.
OK - sumpthin's not right.....iPhone 5 produces much, much large images. I'll try a test, below....here goes!

OY! A 2.7 mb file turned into 129k! Evidently Bimmerfest conserves resources.

So....what to do? PM for email addr! Under Statistics, click on Post a visitor message for CALWATERBOY DEU

Attachments

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
This is the best I can give you. It was taken with my iPhone 5.
Got the hi res photo, but very blurry - large chip might be a Renesas [NEC] 8 bit microcontroller - usual collection of resistors & capacitors - a diode - crystal

Other chip next to crystal is Atmel ??

Can't make out anything more - if a sharp focus photo's avail, please PM!

Scratchin Head 01.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts