Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching and it seems like either Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus or IronX is the way to go to get this cleaned up. My hunch is either will do the trick but looking for informed opinions.

Can anyone speak from personal experience from using either product? Looking to pick the right one the first time. Any additional tips or tricks would be helpful.

Pics here. Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
CarPro IronX is a good product have used before. As your wheels are diamond cut try not to get too much on the face

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CarPro IronX is a good product have used before. As your wheels are diamond cut try not to get too much on the face

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the rep. Can you expound why I shouldn't spray the face?

Are you referring to coating differences?

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
The winter wheels I had on the X5 had the same embedded brake material on them. No idea why the aftermarket wheels (Ronal brand, fairly reputable) retained this material whereas the original wheels did not.

Anyway, I like the Sonax wheel cleaner and it generally does a good job, but it never got that stuff off those wheels. I would think that to get it off you need the have the wheels dipped and powder coated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The winter wheels I had on the X5 had the same embedded brake material on them. No idea why the aftermarket wheels (Ronal brand, fairly reputable) retained this material whereas the original wheels did not.

Anyway, I like the Sonax wheel cleaner and it generally does a good job, but it never got that stuff off those wheels. I would think that to get it off you need the have the wheels dipped and powder coated.
I'm afraid of that... don't really want to refinish them if I can avoid it. If that's what they require I'll probably just live with it. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you do get them clean, apply wheel wax every once in a while. I wax my wheels each time I do a rotation, which is about twice a year since this X5 isn't driven very often.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,373 Posts
ammonium mercaptoacetate is the effective ingredient in IronX and probably cheaper from your hair saloon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts