BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question. I have a 2008 650 manual transmission. I just replaced all four rotors and brake pads. Bleed the calipers and put the wheels back on. Went to test drive it and my emergency brake is rubbing on both wheels. At assitance in diagnosing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
I would remove the 2 rear rotors & back the parking brake adjustment off, until there is no drag. Did you make any adjustments to the emergency brake?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would remove the 2 rear rotors & back the parking brake adjustment off, until there is no drag. Did you make any adjustments to the emergency brake?
After the first installation I pulled the rotors back off and adjusted the emergency brake as loose as I could get it. Still sticking.

·
Michael
2,324 Posts
I had an issue when I adjusted the parking break. It is not easy locating the shoe adjustment screws and then using it to adjust the brakes******* I remember doing the adjustment on each wheel, in fact the parking break was better on one wheel than the other and getting the right balance I found was not easy. Anyway I did the adjustment and the wheels rotated easily and I put the car down off the jacks and went for a test drive, and found the damn wheels had started binding badly, even when after adjusting the rotated easily. So the only solution was to back off on each wheel (remember they need to balance) until they did not bind on test run. I then did the handbrake adjustment at the lever in the car, technically you need a special tool, but I managed to do the adjustment to the standard 5-6 notches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had an issue when I adjusted the parking break. It is not easy locating the shoe adjustment screws and then using it to adjust the brakes******* I remember doing the adjustment on each wheel, in fact the parking break was better on one wheel than the other and getting the right balance I found was not easy. Anyway I did the adjustment and the wheels rotated easily and I put the car down off the jacks and went for a test drive, and found the damn wheels had started binding badly, even when after adjusting the rotated easily. So the only solution was to back off on each wheel (remember they need to balance) until they did not bind on test run. I then did the handbrake adjustment at the lever in the car, technically you need a special tool, but I managed to do the adjustment to the standard 5-6 notches.
I have backed both e brakes shoes off all the way and I am still getting a binding when I test drive.

·
Michael
2,324 Posts
Just out of interest and clarification, do have electronic parking brakes or parking brake lever? There is no emergency brakes on these cars, so by emergency I think you are talking about the parking brake.
When you changed the rotors and pads, this has nothing to do with the parking brake, unless of course you have an electronic parking brake then that is a different matter where binding is concerned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just out of interest and clarification, do have electronic parking brakes or parking brake lever? There is no emergency brakes on these cars, so by emergency I think you are talking about the parking brake.
When you changed the rotors and pads, this has nothing to do with the parking brake, unless of course you have an electronic parking brake then that is a different matter where binding is concerned.
I have a standard parking brake lever.

·
Michael
2,324 Posts
You now need to check which is binding main brakes or parking brake. So find a small slope, with the engine running, put the car in neutral and release the handbrake, does the car roll forward, if yes then pull the handbrake on to see if it will hold the car, then release again, all this with your foot off the brake pedal. If the car fails to move when released you know it is the handbrake holding and it just needs adjusting, provided no cables are snagged or damaged.
If the car rolls forward and the handbrake works , then it could be the main brakes binding given that you have changed them, if this is the case then jacking each wheel to find which one is binding would be the next step, if it is the rotor and pad causing the binding it could be a faulty piston if the brakes have been installed correctly and the guide pins cleaned if not replaced, I personally replace the guides pins and the anti squeal springs, it is also worth looking to see if the calipers are seated correctly.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Herb is once again correct here
You need to remove back wheels, pads and rotors and adjust the e brake to where it's not dragging on to the rotor.
Lot of people forget to do that when installing the new rotors

1 - 13 of 13 Posts