BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
30FF <3
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Only cold air on driver side may be that the heater valve is not working or that refrigerant is leaking and you need the AC system recharged. A new belt whined on me because it was not OEM.

Get the three digit codes read using INPA, Pasoft, etc to see what may have failed but does not give a check engine light. My AC was not working, but Pasoft 1.4 showed me (code 125) that my electric fan was failing to start. I Installed new aux cooling fan sensor- electric fan came on ac worked again.
ok, ill try and see I did notice my aux fan wasn't coming on anymore all of the sudden but it came on before I put her in the shop.... what could of caused it to not come on anymore? the coolant i lost and that got splashed when my nozzle broke off? hmm idk

also i think the whine is coming from the new fan / clutch not the belts....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
some of the reasons that may cause an aux fan not to start:

1. a bad lower radiator hose sensor
2. a break in the wiring of the aux fan connection
3. aux fan itself may be kaput
4. conditions have not been met such as a/c not being turned on coldest setting

·
30FF <3
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
some of the reasons that may cause an aux fan not to start:

1. a bad lower radiator hose sensor
2. a break in the wiring of the aux fan connection
3. aux fan itself may be kaput
4. conditions have not been met such as a/c not being turned on coldest setting
well it cant be these:

1.I just replaced one 3 months ago

3.fan was just working before it went into shop how can it kaput out of no where

4.a/c is on lowest setting which is 60.F and 3 blue dots and I just filled freon a week ago

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
well it cant be these:

1.I just replaced one 3 months ago

3.fan was just working before it went into shop how can it kaput out of no where

4.a/c is on lowest setting which is 60.F and 3 blue dots and I just filled freon a week ago
Is the snowflake illuminated for the a/c? Did you go with an OEM lower radiator hose sensor and is it connected? Any part can kaput out of nowhere. Turn the a/c on ...and look in the engine bay is the a/c compressor spinning?

·
30FF <3
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
yes I put a brand new oem sensor 2-3 months ago and before this situation happened aux fan was working and both vents were blowing cold
and yes the compressor is spinning

also here's a video of the sound I was talking about

https://vid.me/ZkQJ

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I had the same sound when I installed a new fan clutch, give it a week or two to break in it will quiet down. What brand fan clutch did they install? Sachs is recommended. And make sure the fan blades are Genuine BMW. I installed Uro blades in 2010 which turned into flying ninja stars August 2014 after 50,000 miles.

Not sure why your aux fan is not coming on check some of the troubleshooting threads. Getting the three digit bmw codes read may offer some clues.

·
30FF <3
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm not sure what fan blade it was but I didn't get it from BMW tho but they seem really sturdy and hard the clutch I think is uro but I can tell the sound is actually getting quieter everytime I go out for a drive I'll get it a month if no results then I'll buy a bmw one which quoted me $200 for to buy and install... thanks I'll keep this thread updated and I'll check why my fan isn't coming on...

but what device do I need to read the codes?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts