BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My check engine light has been on for several months. This morning i had my guy to reset it and give me the codes. The codes were po440 and po171. After the check engine light was reset i had my emission testing done but they couldn't complete the testing because the vehicle diagnostic monitors are not ready. They recommended for us to drive the car for 30-100 miles and bring it back in.

Have any of you had this issue before?

·
BM and V dub love!
313 Posts
Yes, your readiness codes need to be set before inspection. This is to prevent people from clearing the CEL and "passing" inspection.

Sent from my Chroma Nexus 6

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, your readiness codes need to be set before inspection. This is to prevent people from clearing the CEL and "passing" inspection.

Sent from my Chroma Nexus 6
The check engine light is off now. Why do they recommend driving the car before passing the test. I'm assuming my guy just cleared the CEL..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully fixing the vacuum leak in your EVAP system will get rid of both of those codes permanently.
Not trying to fix anything when we are selling "as is" in the next 6 weeks. Gonna drive for a 100 miles and get it tested again.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The light will come back on once the drive cycle is complete. The car needs about 100 miles of driving to test the EVAP system for leaks by applying pressure to the tank, and seeing how fast it loses the pressure over controlled conditions.

Selling the car with a cleared CEL without representing the this fact clearly is a no-no. You will get better money for the car by fixing it, passing emissions, and then representing this in the ad.

·
Anti-Hack
5,121 Posts
Spend $5 on a new BMW gas cap and not kick your problems down the road. "As-is" only works when buyers are aware of all the facts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts