Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently purchased a 2001 325i and could not pass emissions. ODB threw out the infamous p0171 P0174 codes AND p1083/1085. I've done the following... Valve cover gasket replaced, changed spark plugs, new air and oil filter, changed oil with Mobil 1 full syn 10w40, replaced lower and upper intake boots, cleaned the MAF, Disa looked good but I'm considering replacing that as well. I did a smoke test and it appeared it was coming from the lower intake boot which as I mentioned, replaced. I did the " suction test for a possible CCV leak and all was good. I just changed the pre cat O2 sensors today.

I was advised when I failed emissions that i would need to perform a drive cycle. Here's what it entailed... Run idle for 2.5 minutes with the AC on full blast and the rear defogger on. After that, take the car out and drive 55mph for 3 minutes, decelerate to 20mph then press the throttle 3/4 back to 55mph for another 5 minutes. Never to go over 55 and 3000rpm. Well, the CEL came on as I was idling with the AC and defogger on. I decided to clear the code and continue with the test. The CEL hasn't come back. I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and bring it to a shop unless anyone knows what I can do from here. I'm just over chasing these codes! Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Did you perform a smoke test after you replace all of usual suspects? Clear the causes and see what returns. Yes, the car has to run a drive cycle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts