BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT CAME ON MINE 03 745LI, SAY EMISSIONS-RELATED FAULT CAR COMPUTER SCREEN, I HAVE CODE P2187 BANK-1, P2189 BANK-2. ANY ONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM BEFORE, ANY HELP PLEASE, HOW TOO FIX THIS STUFF, OH FROM WHERE THIS PROBLEM ITS COMING FROM.:thumbup:
:DTHANXXXX:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the 02 745i and the same thing happened to me. The dealer said it was the valve check in the secondary air system. Cost $950. and it cost me $115 for him to tell me that. I called a repair shop that specializes in exotic cars and they quoted me the same work for less than half of what BMW quoted me.

·
E65/E66 Helper Man.......
1,511 Posts
same thing happened to me in jan, check engine light with emissions related fault in idrive display... dealer said it was a temp sensor that had frozen... they replaced the sensor, and flushed the cooling system and filled with new fluid... didnt pay a dime =)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I HAVE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT CAME ON MINE 03 745LI, SAY EMISSIONS-RELATED FAULT CAR COMPUTER SCREEN, I HAVE CODE P2187 BANK-1, P2189 BANK-2. ANY ONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM BEFORE, ANY HELP PLEASE, HOW TOO FIX THIS STUFF, OH FROM WHERE THIS PROBLEM ITS COMING FROM.:thumbup:
:DTHANXXXX:D
Could you let me know what happened. I, too have the same P2187 and P 2189 codes.
Thanks

Darius

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the 02 745i and the same thing happened to me. The dealer said it was the valve check in the secondary air system. Cost $950. and it cost me $115 for him to tell me that. I called a repair shop that specializes in exotic cars and they quoted me the same work for less than half of what BMW quoted me.
Hi, did you have codes 2187 and 2189, and which shop quoted you. I am in Houston and also have my SES light on with these two codes

Thanks Alot

Darius

·
asc-abs sensors rock!!!!
413 Posts
Hi, did you have codes 2187 and 2189, and which shop quoted you. I am in Houston and also have my SES light on with these two codes

Thanks Alot

Darius
Have you tried bavarian auto works?

Bavarian Auto Service
maps.google.com

6335 Skyline Dr
Houston, TX 77057
(713) 266-5694
Get directions

·
Registered
223 Posts
my service engine soon light came on yesterday and i checked it out on the obdII today. its the secondary air system (Bank 2), is this a big or minor problem?

·
Registered
850 Posts
my service engine soon light came on yesterday and i checked it out on the obdII today. its the secondary air system (Bank 2), is this a big or minor problem?
You could have a cracked air intake hose, I got the same exact code on my X5 and the dealer told me it was the o2 sensor I did a little poking around on my own and found a crack in the air intake right before the MAS which was causing the error. 14.00 hose on pelicanparts and it was gone!

·
Registered
223 Posts
i just recently put on a K&N air filter, could there be a possibility that i didn't close the box right and thats causing it?
thanks for the reply

·
Registered
126 Posts
How do you guys get the codes when the check engine light is on. Mine just popped up and in the Idrive is says emmisions fault but i am not sure how to tell what the problem is.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have to have an OBD reader

If you have a bimmer

They are under 100 bucks and it saves you time.

Also, anyone out of warranty, if car is running OK and you have a light, reset it at least once and see if it comes back. Sometimes , I have had a light and a certain code and it has never come back

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, takes two secs

I'm not suggesting that you reset every code every time

Then monitor the codes for a few weeks. The reader will show them still pending until the car has gone long enough without a fault and then it will show everything OK.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you have a bimmer

They are under 100 bucks and it saves you time.

Also, anyone out of warranty, if car is running OK and you have a light, reset it at least once and see if it comes back. Sometimes , I have had a light and a certain code and it has never come back
what ODBII readers do you recommend?

·
Registered
223 Posts
go to a store like advance auto parts, they should have the OBDII for use free of charge. i just reset my engine light today, i hope it doesn't come back on. ill let you guys know

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Did you ever find out the issue with your code? Mine popped up this morning with the same thing. it has happened before and I took it to my indy shop and they said they couldn't find anything. This is the second episode...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I STILL have this emissions -related fault it used to come and go and now it been there and not going away . i took it to autzone and it was something with bank1 or something i guess the car is telling me to get ready to go to the bank for money to fix her . lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. Did you ever figure out what the root of the problem is? I had the same error codes and paid 1015 to have the secondary air pump and relay replaced... After 100 miles, the light has come back on and I don't know what else it could be. Don't want to go back to the dealer to pony up more money if I can check for a minor problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Check for a cracked air hose as was said earlier then check your banks 1 & 2 because they will cause that error as well.

·
quarter-to-8-shorty
7 Posts
would these emissions. codes 2187 and 2189 cause a misfire when the car is under a load? when in park the car revs fine but under a load with these codes on I hear wat sounds like it could b a misfire or dieseling please if ne body knows wats going on helpme

Sent from my LG-P509 using Bimmer App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts