BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· JK3R
2018 BMW 540I M
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We really dont have any pictures of people and their nice engine :)
I can start with mine.. just finished all my custom work.. believe it or not the intake actually sounds really deep when you floor it I love it :)

Post em` up fellow bimmerfest members

Attachments

· JK3R
2018 BMW 540I M
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks really looking for feedback and no actually it was cheap I got it for $65 in total from pepboys and damn! it gives a sick pick up sound !!

· Registered
1,254 Posts
FYI your intake temps are going to be about 20-30 degrees F over what you would get with a cold air intake (like stock or any other that pulls air from in front of wheel)

Looks good though congrats!

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
So, you eliminated the excellent stock CAI, and converted it to a "Hot Air Induction" system...you just took three steps *backwards*....

(But it does "sound cool") :thumbdwn:

· Robert Kent
100 Posts
Dude your engine looks sick! Where did you get that cuppler that goes from the bumper into the top of the filter. I have the same setup and the sounnd it make is amazing! Not to mention it looks good. I just competed in a car show and won 3rd simply because my engine bay and how clean my car was inside. I won against cars that were all done up but my simple clean look beat them. Tell me what you think about mine..

Attachments

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
. Tell me what you think about mine..
"What I think" is that you should also remove the "CAI" claim from your sig line....
("truth in advertising", and all that, y`know....) :tsk:

· Robert Kent
100 Posts
"What I think" is that you should also remove the "CAI" claim from your sig line....
("truth in advertising", and all that, y`know....) :tsk:
Thanks i apreciate it. Idk about other bmws but mine got better.mpg with the cai.plus I'm making a heat shield fot it

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer

· JK3R
2018 BMW 540I M
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks i apreciate it. Idk about other bmws but mine got better.mpg with the cai.plus I'm making a heat shield fot it

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer
Same here im getting better mpg because I ran the connector from the stoke intake in the bumper to the front of the CAI and i will be creating a heat shield too. I just didnt want to spend $$$ like idiots who buy from dinan.. really their products are the same as this unless you get the software update. Now thats a different story

(btw I made that connection buy using a 3 inch to 2 1/2 inch reducer.. the smaller side fit in the CAI and the bigger is in the stock intake boot area from where the cold air comes in)

Attachments

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Same here im getting better mpg because I ran the connector from the stoke intake in the bumper to the front of the CAI and i will be creating a heat shield too. I just didnt want to spend $$$ like idiots who buy from dinan.. really their products are the same as this unless you get the software update. Now thats a different story

(btw I made that connection buy using a 3 inch to 2 1/2 inch reducer.. the smaller side fit in the CAI and the bigger is in the stock intake boot area from where the cold air comes in)
If you put a reducer straight to the stock cold air connector from the center of the filter...isn't this bypassing the filter? I am not familiar with this sort of filter but your standard cone filter just has filter around outside and if you put reducer down middle you will be sucking in unfiltered air. I am assuming this isn't what you are doing?

Dinan does not do anything like this. Their intake is outside of the engine bay with the filter outside engine bay. A for instance...on same day I had my CAI on my intake air temp was 70F when I removed it and had it just connected to MAF pulling air from engine bay IAT was 105F.

That is a huge difference!

· JK3R
2018 BMW 540I M
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you put a reducer straight to the stock cold air connector from the center of the filter...isn't this bypassing the filter? I am not familiar with this sort of filter but your standard cone filter just has filter around outside and if you put reducer down middle you will be sucking in unfiltered air. I am assuming this isn't what you are doing?

Dinan does not do anything like this. Their intake is outside of the engine bay with the filter outside engine bay. A for instance...on same day I had my CAI on my intake air temp was 70F when I removed it and had it just connected to MAF pulling air from engine bay IAT was 105F.

That is a huge difference!
the center if the filter also has a filter there, In the front.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
the center if the filter also has a filter there, In the front.
Interesting design on that. You should run IAT readings with that versus stock setup. Would be interesting to some folks. If you are getting better mpg then that generally means she is breathing better.

Looks good to me looks like you put a lot of hard work into the details. I don't care what folks do to their cars as long as it is what they want and like. And big props on it being an e39!

· JK3R
2018 BMW 540I M
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks cause really I hate when people try to make you feel bad ( Some people here ) about what you did. Like I believe everyone is different and your car should show yourself you know? So thanks for the compliment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.