BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
24/7 Bimmer Addict
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do Engine braking a lot. By shifting to a lower gear. Just curious, what every one else did out there. Of course, if I have to brake suddenly, I use my brakes but generally I go to a lower gear, match the RPMs and slow down. Didn't know if this is a good habit or not. Is it going to wear out my engine or clutch faster. I know by brakes might last longer.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Brake pads are cheap.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
You might want to do a search. The issue is more contentious than you would think and it has been discussed before. There is the "driveline can take the stress crowd," the "that's what brakes are for and they are cheap" crowd and the "I drive the car to have fun and don't expect to worry about this one way or the other" crowd. There might even be a few crowds I missed, but it's all in the archives.

Personally, I downshift as a driving style so I always have power available. Some people only downshift if they think they are about to need that power. Imo, what ever is the most fun for you is the way to go.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
Yup....

Why put all the wear and tear on engine, trans and clutch plates when you can just wear out "relativly" inexpensive pads and rotors.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I personally have never found engine breaking in my 325 all that effective. Perhaps I don't do it correctly, but the engine just seems to tolerate the higher RPMs so effectively that it doesn't slow down very much. :dunno:

·
Padawan
1,430 Posts
I do it quite frequently, but for reasons entirely my own which I have mentioned before... it keeps my wheels much cleaner! I also frequently use both which works quite well; light braking in conjunction with downshifting. It makes a huge difference in the amount of brake dust that accumulates on my rims after just one drive.

--J.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Yeap, you are going to just LOVE the bill to put in a new clutch, unless you are VERY good at rev matching.

Better option, swap out the pads for a low dust type. Axxis Deluxe or Deluxe Plus or Mintex red box.

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
Rob325_in_AZ said:
I personally have never found engine breaking in my 325 all that effective. Perhaps I don't do it correctly, but the engine just seems to tolerate the higher RPMs so effectively that it doesn't slow down very much. :dunno:
I experience the exact same thing, so I just use my brakes now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts