BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'm otay. You are not.
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's time to give the 540i a nice engine cleaning. It's not too bad, but after seeing some underhood photos on this forum, I'm feeling a little guilty. I've not done this before and was wondering if anyone had some good horror stories about getting something wet that they wish they hadn't. Or stories with a happy ending... like how they did it quick and easy (hopefully). What works good, what doesn't, etc. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
278 Posts
i used some product from strauss to remove greese

i am not to confident about throghing water at my engine

it just takes time, lots of time to clean

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
do not shoot water directly on that motor. It won't end well. damp rag and water is all you need.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think it's time to give the 540i a nice engine cleaning. It's not too bad, but after seeing some underhood photos on this forum, I'm feeling a little guilty. I've not done this before and was wondering if anyone had some good horror stories about getting something wet that they wish they hadn't. Or stories with a happy ending... like how they did it quick and easy (hopefully). What works good, what doesn't, etc. Thanks in advance!
I cleaned my engine around 55,000 and it came out beautifully well.
Here is what you do.
Start with a warm engine, NOT HOT! So if engine is cold, start it and run at idle for 5 minutes.
Turn off engine.
Spray on a can of Gunk engine degreaser all over the engine, especially the dirtier areas. Be careful NOT to use too much around anything electrical (i.e. switches, plugs, etc.)
Let sit for 3 or 4 minutes.
Start car, leave idling and immediately use a water hose to shower off (NOT blast with high pressure) any dirt and grime - again be very careful around anything electrical.
Turn engine off.
Leave hood open to dry - about 20 minutes. Use a rag to wipe up any small puddles in crevices around engine.
Then use a silicone spray (Gunk makes one), and spray all areas with a first coat and then a second coat.
When finished, cross your arms, pat yourself on the back and enjoy the beauty of the engine compartment that lays in front of you.
Oh and get yourself a beer for a job well done.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Yeah, water wont hurt anything! First, KEEP THE ENGINE RUNNING. Then, spray some degreaser on EVERYTHING, then spray high pressure water (onto the engine but keep the spray far away) DO NOT do this in the winter months if where you are its cold out. Thats probably the only time NOT to do things with water, for obvious reasons :rolleyes:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah, water wont hurt anything! First, KEEP THE ENGINE RUNNING. Then, spray some degreaser on EVERYTHING, then spray high pressure water (onto the engine but keep the spray far away) DO NOT do this in the winter months if where you are its cold out. Thats probably the only time NOT to do things with water, for obvious reasons :rolleyes:
If you spray degreaser while engine is running the fan will blow the stuff everywhere and you will not be able to get it on the areas you want it to adhere to.
Engine can be off when spraying degreaser - see my post one up.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
If you spray degreaser while engine is running the fan will blow the stuff everywhere and you will not be able to get it on the areas you want it to adhere to.
Engine can be off when spraying degreaser - see my post one up.
Oh yeah youre right, I totally forgot that i too kept the engine not running while spraying. Thanks for the correction.:thumbup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
bboomer and frhsfootball80, you have beautiful beautiful engine bays!:thumbup::thumbup:

What do you use the sillicone spray for? What will happen to it when it gets hot?

Really would like to do this one day...

·
looking for a car
2,576 Posts
bboomer and frhsfootball80, you have beautiful beautiful engine bays!:thumbup::thumbup:

What do you use the sillicone spray for? What will happen to it when it gets hot?

i have vynal, rubber, and tire dressing which i apply on an applicator pad. then i put it all over the stuff that i can. go back over it with a microfiber cloth to spread everything evenly. if i cant get into tough spots with the pads i have a non silicon based spray which gets down deep.

·
I'm otay. You are not.
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great looking engine bays! I gots me some work to do... thanks for the help!

·
Registered
66 Posts

Like I stated in my "how to" post (a few up), you spray the silicone all over the engine bay - hoses, plastic, metal, etc. - it makes everything shine nicely and nothing happens to it when it gets hot.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I find that 303 Protectant works great after a good washing. Just spray on everything and wipe off with a microfiber cloth. It won't break down the rubber as petroleum products will.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts