BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am wondering whether anyone here has experience steam cleaning their engine bay. I have looked online and there are several types of cleaners available, however I am looking for one that will work first time as the less water you put anywhere near you engine the better. Has anyone got any recommendations as to what to use and how?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi, I am wondering whether anyone here has experience steam cleaning their engine bay. I have looked online and there are several types of cleaners available, however I am looking for one that will work first time as the less water you put anywhere near you engine the better. Has anyone got any recommendations as to what to use and how?
Thanks in advance.

I can't tell you about steam cleaning but for years, (used to own a mobile detail service) I've used Simply Green with a brush. Warm up your engine but not too hot. If you have access to your water heater, run the garden hose off the spigot. Hot water works better, just stay away from your alternator, starter and electrical connections, you know, use common sense. Hitting other areas with water really doesn't harm anything.
Use a pistol type handle (preferably, the mist setting) so you can use short spurts and control small areas. You'd be amazed how well Simply Green works.
After you've rinsed everything off, blow dry as much as you can with compressed air. Follow up with a dry towel.
Finally, spray a rubber protectant such as ArmorAll (any brand will do) using a soft nylon paint brush to get into tight areas. Again, follow up with a dry towel so you don't leave a bunch of excess as it will attract lots of road dust. You want everything to have a satin finish as opposed to a glossy look. IMO, looks more professional.
I just did mine and here is what she looks like.
Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I too have been cleaning my engine & bay area for years with just stuff like simple green & greased lightning without any issues. I have done it with a cold engine, spraying the degreaser on the oil areas, especially the PS reservoir & hoses. Then take a soft brush with soapy water & brush the body area & engine where I can get to. Then just use a hose with typical 75 PSI line pressure to rinse it off. I try not to direct it at the Alt., dist., plug holes, ECU & fuse box, but all else is fair game. After I do this, I'll drive the car around the block till it's up to temp. & has time to dry all off. One caution, if you have the V-8, it WILL get water in the oil sender/pressure connect at the bottom of the oil filter & this will allow the oil can light to come on. If this happens, disconnect the conn. & remove all the moisture. The light will go off then.

Attachments

·
Lucky to drive a BMW
1,356 Posts
I recently was impressed with this degreaser.It allows you to wash the oils and grease with water with good results.. Very effective at dissolving layers of oil build up on engine parts. A pressure washer and this stuff would be a solution to engine cleaning. I bought a gallon for 20 dollars. Then refill a spray bottle .http://www.oileater.com/CleanerDegreaser.html

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use the ZEP brand purple degreaser at Home depot. $10 bucks a gallon and works great! BE CAREFUL on painted surfaces if using it full streingth it will remove paint if you let it sit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

·
Wrenchin' guy
429 Posts
:smokin:

Howdy, reading what everyone here is saying. Interesting.

I can send you photos if you like of what I have used and will continue to use as long as i can grasp a steering wheel and mash the accelerator!!!

GUNK ENGINE BRIGHT.

Decent pressure garden hose (or self-wash car wash place with rinse wand at decent pressure).

I use two cans of engine bright. wait 20 minutes after applying.

rinse for a good 5 to 10 minutes.

start engine and let heat dry off most of components.

when engine bay is all dry........

apply CD2. (THIS STUFF IS AMAZING!)

it keeps EVERYTHING shiny for three weeks to a month!!!

it is really cool!

just my two-cents worth folks!

cpnwrench

:smokin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts