BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this morning as soon as I started the car I heard Engine ticking noises. I thought it might have been due to the factor it was cold, however, even after 5 minutes of warming up the noise didn't go away.

When I stepped on the gas, the noise seems to diminish and come back again during idle. When I popped open the hood the noise seemed to grow even more apparent. I drove it to my destination which is 2 miles away, and about 10 minutes later I got out of the car and checked again for noises. Same thing...."click click click". I had an oil service done 2 weeks ago and haven't noticed any noises until now.

Pls advise. thanks.

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
Check you oil level. I think low oil can make the valves click like that. But it could be other things as well. :dunno:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JonW said:
Check you oil level. I think low oil can make the valves click like that. But it could be other things as well. :dunno:
But I just had an oil service done 2 weeks ago... any other thoughts? anyone?

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
jk330i said:
Just because someone changed your oil does not mean it was done properly. I'd say have a look at the dipstick.

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
JonW said:
Just because someone changed your oil does not mean it was done properly. I'd say have a look at the dipstick.
The likelyhood is that the oil change was done correctly, but it only takes a minute to check it and eliminate a possible source of the problem. Besides, once you are under the hood, you might notice something else amiss which might be the real problem. I can't tell you the number of times I've popped the hood to find bolts that weren't fully tightened or air filter cover latches that weren't latched. :mad:

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
Check the oil cap. Sometimes they forget to put it back on. Its happened to me twice (never with the BMW), now I make it a point to check after every oil change.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Artslinger said:
Check the oil cap. Sometimes they forget to put it back on. Its happened to me twice (never with the BMW), now I make it a point to check after every oil change.
okay I'll do that and all the other things mentioned above. The funny thing is the biggest peeve of mine is service negligence on their part. I forgot to mention that on my oil service 2 weeks ago they forgot to re-cap my tire valve stems after checking air pressure. I had to go back and get some worn out old ones that were laying around. :mad:

And this was at Crevier BMW... surprise!

·
Registered
205 Posts
jk330i said:
Suspicious that it happened soon after an oil change.

Maybe they serviced it with the wrong oil...... :dunno:

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Artslinger said:
Check the oil cap. Sometimes they forget to put it back on.
After one service on my old car, the oil dipstick was not put back. I didn't notice it was gone but when I took the car in for a smog test a couple of weeks later, they wouldn't pass it because of the missing dip stick. Argh!

·
Flying monkey herder
8,171 Posts
i've heard that ticking noise on my 330i before, and it was the oil level. was about 3/4 of a quart low.
and the reason it was 3/4 of a quart low was because i just brought it in for service a few weeks prior.

i have a feeling they just put in however many whole bottles of oil (6 or 7, i cant recall at the moment) and leave out whatever fraction. it would be a pain for them to deal with half empty bottles of oil.

now that prior statement is totally negated if they use bulk oil to fill. I've never seen them actually changing the oil so i have no clue if it comes from bottles or a bulk dispenser...

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Orient330iNYC said:
i've heard that ticking noise on my 330i before, and it was the oil level. was about 3/4 of a quart low.
and the reason it was 3/4 of a quart low was because i just brought it in for service a few weeks prior.

i have a feeling they just put in however many whole bottles of oil (6 or 7, i cant recall at the moment) and leave out whatever fraction. it would be a pain for them to deal with half empty bottles of oil.

now that prior statement is totally negated if they use bulk oil to fill. I've never seen them actually changing the oil so i have no clue if it comes from bottles or a bulk dispenser...
Service department don't carry "bottles" of oil. They have these giant 50 gallon drums of oil that they pump into the engine compartment.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,171 Posts
that makes sense. how do they measure out the oil though? i've had two oil services and both times i was short about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart when i checked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts