BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "Service Engine Soon" light came on and I dont have the proper tools to diagnose the problem (2nd week owning the car). Are there any VA/MD/WV 540 owners that have the engine diagnostic tool that could help me out? There's a 12 pack of your choice involved :thumbup: ... along with my gratitude.

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
Welcome to the Fest!

Depending on the type of cluster on your car, "Service Engine Soon" usually refers to changing oil or general maintenence- Inspection I which is different from "Check Engine" which requires to read a code. If oil has been changed recently, it just means previous owner didn't
reset the light. There is a tip somewhere where you can reset that light by shorting two pins at the service connection in the engine bay. I believe pin 7 and 19? Here it is

Sometimes SES can also be caused by fuel related issues. Like a loose gas cap. One can try to disconnect the battery for about 5 mins and reconnect and it may go away.

If you live near an Autozone, you can try using their OBD scan tool. For long term, you should probably buy a scan tool as you'll need it for many things if you keep the car for some time. The most popular is Peake Research which sells for about $120-140.

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
You know, i did notice a hissing sound when i took off the gas cap, 15 min later the light came on.
If related to filling up gas. Go and re-tighten the gas cap. Usually after about a few days of driving, it may reset itself. Otherwise, try the battery trick. If light comes back on again after disconnecting the batter, get yourself a scan tool or go to a nearby autoparts store that offers free code readings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts