BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So whenever I merge onto this same freeway and I accelerate quickly while merging to get the carpool lane my engine light comes on and it says "engine malfunction Reduced power".

It always disappears after I turn the car on and off. I went home and pulled a couple codes: 6E83 and D68D.

I found that 6E83 is a tire pressure sensor problem and the D68D has to do with too frequent unlock and locks. Does anyone else know if these codes with cause and engine light while merging and accelerating? Or personal experience? Or do you know something I don't (obviously, but ya' know..). I have a 2008 BMW 535i sport package with about 66k and change oil every 5k.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
What code reader are you using?

Before you the get reduced power message, does the car begin to run really bad or differently in any way?

Those codes are irrelevant to the issue but perhaps you have some codes your reader can't read.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What code reader are you using?

Before you the get reduced power message, does the car begin to run really bad or differently in any way?

Those codes are irrelevant to the issue but perhaps you have some codes your reader can't read.

Thanks for the reply!

There is no noticeable difference with the way the car drives.

Code reader is called Blue Driver.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The description of that scanner has the letters BMW in it but I'm not ready to believe it is fully functional. But only because I have never read about anyone in the BMW forums use it and vouche for it.

That said... If the car appears to be running fine then you get the reduced power warning it seems it is not a misfire problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The description of that scanner has the letters BMW in it but I'm not ready to believe it is fully functional. But only because I have never read about anyone in the BMW forums use it and vouche for it.

That said... If the car appears to be running fine then you get the reduced power warning it seems it is not a misfire problem.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to give your feedback.

I really want to solve the issue, but at least have an idea before I go and diagnose it. I got it diagnosed a few weeks ago and the mechanic said it was the thermostat failing to open and close properly. Then I took it to a friend who has a reader and he said it has something to do with the dynamic traction stability. Then I use a code reader and it shows the codes mentioned above.

I'm trying to determine the best course of action without getting ripped off by a mechanic not diagnosing or fixing the real problem at hand.

The car runs great. I'm not sure if it has lost power since this light has appeared on the car. The light doesn't come on when I floor it (all the way to the click) from a stop. So many questions...errr

·
Registered
130 Posts
How many miles do you have on the car?

This sounds very much like the famous clogged intake valve issue which is caused by oil seepage through the intake and cooks onto the valves.
The fix is to have the intake ports in the cylinder head and intake valves walnut blasted. About a $1000 fix. The good part is when properly done the engine runs like new.

Search for walnut blasting on this forum there is a ton of info on the issue.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
6E83 indicate issue with passive tire presure monitoring which part of ABS and DSC, it detects slippage on one of the tires. If tire pressure is really low, your TPMS will tell you first (so if tire pressures are good) I'd go check these:
1) either your batt is low
2) your tire is bald, left-to-right or front-to-back
3) your ABS sensor or DSC module maybe throwing error

go from 1-3 as most likely to unlikely

GL.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many miles do you have on the car?

This sounds very much like the famous clogged intake valve issue which is caused by oil seepage through the intake and cooks onto the valves.
The fix is to have the intake ports in the cylinder head and intake valves walnut blasted. About a $1000 fix. The good part is when properly done the engine runs like new.

Search for walnut blasting on this forum there is a ton of info on the issue.
Hey there thanks for your response!

My 2008 BMW 535i has about 66k miles on it. The engine runs very smooth, sounds great. NoQuarter actually recommended getting the valves walnut blasted when I posted a thread asking about preventative maintenance. I've been quoted for around $400-$500 range. I've heard it works wonders though. Although, with how sensitive the sensors and computers are in thee things I feel like it might throw some lights after because the computer isn't used to the increased efficiency of the now clean valves.

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
6E83 indicate issue with passive tire presure monitoring which part of ABS and DSC, it detects slippage on one of the tires. If tire pressure is really low, your TPMS will tell you first (so if tire pressures are good) I'd go check these:
1) either your batt is low
2) your tire is bald, left-to-right or front-to-back
3) your ABS sensor or DSC module maybe throwing error

go from 1-3 as most likely to unlikely

GL.
Awesome response, thanks for your time.

A friend told something similar about the tire pressure stuff; all tires are good, tire pressure seems fine. When I'm going about 65mph, then I floor it (or press firmly on the gas pedal) the light comes on.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
My Although, with how sensitive the sensors and computers are in thee things I feel like it might throw some lights after because the computer isn't used to the increased efficiency of the now clean valves.

Thanks!
No worries about any engine codes.

My 2008 535 has 118k and never has had the intake cleaned but I am sure having some lumpy idle issues now. It is on my to-do list.

I did my 2011 Z4 at about 45k miles and the intake was pretty gummy. Not hard carbon buildup as people like to call it, more of like the gunk in your outdoor barbecue grill/smoker!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.