Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Michael
2,250 Posts
I think you are looking in the wrong place if I understand your pictures the coolant tank is to the right of the engine the kidney shaped bottle to the right of the tension strut towards the front. The one at the back is not for coolant !!!!! Like most things I stand to be corrected but I think I am correct

·
Michael
2,250 Posts
I stand corrected !!!:thumbup: The one at the back is for the intercooler coolant, and your correct the one at the front is engine coolant!!!!

·
Michael
2,250 Posts
I was being clever oops did not work, just watched a video of a 650 and it said the one in front of the engine under the cover was the main coolant for the engine and the one at the rear was for the intercooler, I must be losing my touch so will keep my mouth shut and blush:eek:uch:
Given mine is a 640i straight six does not resemble the V8 in anyway!!!

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
I did add coolant, using the cap near BMW logo. Please see pictures. Coolant covered the max level marker, but warning still appears. Should I add coolant to the upper right tank too ? How much ? There are no markings.
As already mentioned...you topped off the wrong reservoir. The N63TU actually has 3 systems and multiple pumps (some electric and a mechanical belt driven pump):
  1. engine cooling system
  2. turbo cooling system
  3. charge air & DME cooling system

The engine coolant fill pipe is at the rear (right side when looking into the engine bay)...and the instructions on how to check the level was given above. You need to stick some measuring tool (a ruler, chop sticks with the length measured off, a straw, etc) down inside the fill pipe. The actual reservoir for the N63TU engine coolant is located in the left fender.

The reservoir you checked and filled was for the charge air coolers and engine DMEs.

Engine Cooling System Circuit - Turbo Charging Circuit - Charge Air and DME Cooling Circuit

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts