BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As my '98 328i is going down the road at any engine speed, the engine cuts out momentarily and then back on. The check engine light will come on and go off quickly and then everything is back to normal. I thought that it was because my foot might have been pressing the clutch or something similar but that is not it.

Took it to the dealer and spent $350 replacing a "crank shaft sensor" or something that sounded like that. It did not work. They said it probably the catelytic coverter. That does not make much sense since it was just inspected including environmental polution test which was okay.

Any idea? I cannot seem to find anything on the Forum.

Thanks guys!!

PS. POSTED LATER.......NOW THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON SO THERE IS A CODE. WHERE CAN I PLUG IN MY STANDARD OBDII SCANNER. I see that there is a special expensive scanner for this car but for some reason I thought there was another location to plug in the industry standard scanner. Dealers around here charge $120 just to read the code.

THANKS AGAIN!!

·
Retired Slacker
6,711 Posts
The OBD port is under the dash to the left of the steering column. There's a plastic cover that comes off. Have you tried a can of fuel injector cleaner? They get clogged occasionally. Cheers..:bigpimp:

·
Retired Slacker
6,711 Posts
A clogged fuel filter can play havoc with your engine too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.