BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just got a 2000 323ci convertible, swapped down from a 535i (gas guzzling tank) love it, only 80k on the clock, spotless, no scratches or even small bumps, looks awesome in dark blue/dark blue/cream and after my always used garage and my friends gave it a once over they say its in realy good nick, had it 2 weeks now, was seeing how it runs and it runs very well, im very pleased with it, gonna do the obligitory oil change, air filter now, 1 thing i have never used though is wynn's engine flush, was thinking bout using it this time but you hear stories, but imo a 11 year old bmw engine with 80k on it is not old, so has anyone here got any first hand knowledge of it doing anything bad to their bmw please or should i just stop worrying and use it?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Use BG 109. Have heard good things about BG products.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi all, just got a 2000 323ci convertible, swapped down from a 535i (gas guzzling tank) love it, only 80k on the clock, spotless, no scratches or even small bumps, looks awesome in dark blue/dark blue/cream and after my always used garage and my friends gave it a once over they say its in realy good nick, had it 2 weeks now, was seeing how it runs and it runs very well, im very pleased with it, gonna do the obligitory oil change, air filter now, 1 thing i have never used though is wynn's engine flush, was thinking bout using it this time but you hear stories, but imo a 11 year old bmw engine with 80k on it is not old, so has anyone here got any first hand knowledge of it doing anything bad to their bmw please or should i just stop worrying and use it?

Thanks in advance :)
hi I know it's a old topic, but did ya use it and wot were ya results, I got a e60 with m54 engine and same miles, had last oil change at 78k and I did it at 81k with castrol edge 5w 40, and going do again but with a flush this time. My engine is spotless cuz when did rocker cover gasket the insides very clean. Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've never done a flush as I've never had a reason to. The correct oil has good detergents in it. I am curious as to what problem you are trying to solve with your "spotless" and "very clean" engine?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just asking if anyone did,my engine looks very clean when removed rocker cover.only thing not like is the 15000 mile oil changes by previous owner, Cuz looking at my oil after 3k looks black.the cars got full service history.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just asking if anyone did,my engine looks very clean when removed rocker cover.only thing not like is the 15000 mile oil changes by previous owner, Cuz looking at my oil after 3k looks black.the cars got full service history.
I haven't fully convinced myself of the 15K changes either. However, black oil after 3K miles is not a bad sign or a problem. Oils these days are high in detergent, and so they turn dark pretty quickly. They keep the carbon and dirt suspended in the oil and not on the engine parts.
I think that your clean looking engine is at least some evidence for the 15K changes being reasonable. Personally, I don't like the idea of adding solvents when there is no problem. You might create one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks, yes hate the 15000 oil changes, the last owner did change at 78k then I changed it again at 81k when bought it for bargain price and in great condition,the cars got 84k on it now and going drop again. I do short journeys and only do 5k a year. Always love a clean engine. My old e36 I changed every 3k and was clean inside too and very quiet. Lol wish never sold it now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks think will leave it, going buy a cheap oil run few hundred miles then drop, then put castrol in again, for how many miles I do I year it's not that expensive to keep doing oil changes every 3k. Tempted not use long life oils because not keeping in that long.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Geez, just do the flush. It will clean out your engine to the max before you change the oil. Follow directions and do it. May not help much but won't hurt either, and likely won't ever have to do again. BTW, changing synthetic oil as frequently as you are is actually bad for your motor. See other threads on this phenomenon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I heard this before, did on my last bmw every 3000miles and engine was like new, I do stop start around 10 miles a day that's why change so offen. But have also read that it's ok to change around 3k to 5k if doing short journeys.and English weather not help. :p

·
Registered
421 Posts
I won't use any specific engine flush product if you have high mileage car... The seals are too old to handle harsh chemical... Instead, I used transmission fluid.. Yes, any kind of cheap transmission fluid will do and it not as harsh of the other chemical products. I would use somewhere between 4-5 quarts of transmission fluid and let it idle for about 15-20 mins. Once the transmission fluid all flushed out, I would refill with cheap motor oil, but this time I use all 6 quarts or so. This time, I would drive the car for about 30 mins, yes, drive the car about 30 mins. Let the car cool down a bit and do your usual flush and fill with your full synthetic motor oil.

I do this every 30K miles on all of my cars. My 92' 325i w/220K original miles, 99' 323i has 174K original miles on it and my Saab 9-5 Turbo has 175K miles on it, and my 2001 Saab 9-3 has 199K miles on it. None of these cars leak or use any oil up-to-date. I might suffer some error codes from my 323i and 325i for dumb thing like 02 sensors or ignition coils... Oh, and besides the rust, the engine is solid and that's why I like these cars so much and they're all paid for as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi thanks, I have done that on my old e36 about half a litre and kept it in while I drove a few hundred miles and amazing wot did, wish never sold it only had 86000 miles on clock when sold it and was 14years old,Was solid car and engine. Only thing wrong was the wheel arches started to bubble. Think I will forget the flush cuz my car got 84000 on clock. And do same use half litre then flush, my old bmw never made a noise once did it.very lucky with the e60 I bought, got full service history and solid clean car, the black leather not a mark on it. Bargain lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.