BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2011 BMW 535 xDrive
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often the engine flush should be performed? I've been told that I should do it every third oil change (15k miles). Is it about right?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,318 Posts
Don`t know quite what you mean by "engine flush".... oil & filter change every 7500 miles is all that`s needed. The cooling system should be drained, flushed & refilled with fresh BMW coolant every two to three years or so.

Regards,
Bob

·
2011 BMW 535 xDrive
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just bought this car and went to change the oil and oil filter. The mechanic found the oil very dirty and recommend the engine flush to clean it up. Not knowing the service history of this car so I did what the mechanic recommended:

- Engine Flush
- Castrol Synthetic oil 5W40 (8 Quarts)
- Change oil filter

Total bill = $150 and he recommended using synthetic oil every 5k miles and engine flush every third oil change.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i think an 'engine flush' is a new gimmick to provide extra profits to shops. what do they flush it with? good synthetic oil will be dark after several thousand miles - don't know what your guy meant by 'very dirty.'
Use good synthetic oil, bmw (which is a castrol product), castrol, or mobil 1, for example. bmw's recommended spec is 5w-30 and non-x cars take 7 quarts. check your owner's manuel for "x" models - can't imagine engine oil capacity is different.
5,000 to 7,500 miles is fine for oil change interval - forget the 'flushes' .. my 2 cents...

·
Registered
158 Posts
NYC said:
Just bought this car and went to change the oil and oil filter. The mechanic found the oil very dirty and recommend the engine flush to clean it up. Not knowing the service history of this car so I did what the mechanic recommended:

- Engine Flush
- Castrol Synthetic oil 5W40 (8 Quarts)
- Change oil filter

Total bill = $150 and he recommended using synthetic oil every 5k miles and engine flush every third oil change.
If you use 100% synthetic, and change it every 5 to 7500 miles, you'll never have to do an engine oil flush.

Synthetic oil does an excellent job of keeping the engine clean.

Though after getting that flush, I'd get the engine oil/filter changed one more time, say at 250 to 500 miles, then follow the 5 to 7500 oil change schedule. Just to remove any possibly left over loosened up sludge, if there is any, just for peace of mind. This is just my thought.

When ever I buy used, no matter what the dealer claims he's done, I normally go through and change everything, including the powertrain oils (transmission and rear end).

·
Keeping it surreal
43,318 Posts
That expensive "engine flush" you`re paying good money for is more than likely nothing more than draining a quart of oil, and adding a quart of auto trans fluid, then running the engine for 15 minutes or so. The ATF will definitely free up sticky lifters, get rid of gummy deposits, etc. It`s an old-school used-car dealer`s technique dating back to the early `60s. Stick to good-quality synthetic oil at 7500-mile intervals, and you`ll never have a problem.

Regards,
Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.