BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I was just about to buy this great E30 when a disaster happened.
The car is fitted with lpg (normal here in Thailand) and as a so called mechanic was installing a new lpg system (which the seller told me he would install before selling as the old one was out of date), the mechanic somehow connected up some hoses wrong and managed to fill the car engine with water.
The seller has since had the engine rebuilt including a complete new gasket set, new valves, rockers , seats. He now says the engine is performing as good if not better than before the accident.
What im wondering is if with that kind of damage can I expect the engine to be back to normal after repair or is it a ticking time bomb that will never get back to its original state? The guy seems to be trustworthy and im 99% sure he isn***8217;t out to scam but is it realistic that the engine will be ok in the long term?

Thanks
Jake

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm not certain what an "lpg" (liquid propane gas?) is, but as far as water damage goes...I would be concerned about the crank rod and main bearings, connecting rod bearings, camshaft bearings, rings, lifters and possibly the oil pump. If the same guy rebuilt the motor that filled it up with water, I wouldn't trust it. I would consider a certain amount of risk in my negotiated price.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi guys

I was just about to buy this great E30 when a disaster happened.
The car is fitted with lpg (normal here in Thailand) and as a so called mechanic was installing a new lpg system (which the seller told me he would install before selling as the old one was out of date), the mechanic somehow connected up some hoses wrong and managed to fill the car engine with water.
The seller has since had the engine rebuilt including a complete new gasket set, new valves, rockers , seats. He now says the engine is performing as good if not better than before the accident.
What im wondering is if with that kind of damage can I expect the engine to be back to normal after repair or is it a ticking time bomb that will never get back to its original state? The guy seems to be trustworthy and im 99% sure he isn't out to scam but is it realistic that the engine will be ok in the long term?

Thanks
Jake
You need to find out more about this rebuild. If it is JUST the things you listed, that is NOT an engine rebuild. That is just a head rebuild.

What did the schmuck do after hooking it up wrong? How many times was it cranked?

Anyway, if it really does run good, do a compression and leak-down test on each cylinder, and if that checks out and there is zero smoke from the tailpipe, chances are it will probably be OK.

Just out of curiosity, the LPG runs through steel lines, correct? Just how the heck .... eh... never mind. I'd rather not know HOW dumb this mechanic is.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Avoid it. He's lying. Sounds like it blew a head gasket or has a cracked casting somewhere. No way a "mechanic" could connect the hoses to fill the cylinders with water.
Trust me, this car is bodged together as cheaply and quickly as possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have bought the car,
the reason water managed to get into the engine is because the lpg system uses water to cool the lpg back to liquid from gas as it enters the engine. Basically the lpg fitter took the injector apart and replaced the parts inside with cheap Chinese parts but kept the expensive Italian housing. Unfortunately he did it wrong and when he started it the water just shot into the engine. Apparently it carried on running until the owner ran over and shut it off.
The mechanic that did the rebuild is a completely different shop which the owner has used for years, he couldn***8217;t do the lpg as you have to have certain certifications. The bearings may be a problem in the future but labor is cheap here so im not very worried. He also had some other stuff replaced on the crank but I cant remember what they are called.
Apart from that the car is in tip top shape

Oh and it definatly didnt blow a head gasket as I have seen the old one and it was nearly new, the previous owner is using it as evidence in a court case against the lpg fitter who is refusing to pay for the damage.

Jake

·
Registered
180 Posts
congrats. looks pretty nice.

i would think if replacing just parts of the bottom end in this case, maybe it was the wrist pins? But if they had the bottom end apart enough to do that, then I don't see why not replace everything. Anyway, hope it turns out to be a good purchase for you. I think if no funny noises at this point, you are probably ok.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Kinda unusual that he would make a mistake like that, but it sounds like everything's alright now. Looks good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts