BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lymphoma Cancer Awareness
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see anything about this but maybe I missed it in a search. It doesn't seem to bother my BF but it bothers me LOL

I hear a hum coming from I believe to be the engine, this started maybe a couple months ago. Usually when I first start the car until the engine is nice and warm, say first few miles of driving, it humms then stops then humms then stops, then it finally stops. I haven't noticed it in the afternoon after work. It used to do it only after a few days of not driving. Now it seems to do it every morning, if the car is not driven again after I get home at 5p. Has anyone else noticed this?

My old Jetta used to have a buzzing noise for the first few minutes after starting, ended up being a seal on the environmental control system (that's what they called it LOL, I think that either meant the filtering system or the catalytic coverter :dunno:)

·
Gooble Goobledygoook
955 Posts
Bump...

Don't really know, maybe something is loose, and the engine vibrations resulted in the hum. But, I don't really know :dunno:

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
It's generally a good thing when the engine is humming....

I got nothing. :dunno: How many miles does this 2006 3er have on it?

·
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's generally a good thing when the engine is humming....

I got nothing. :dunno: How many miles does this 2006 3er have on it?

battery? the car is 06, so it might be starting to loose capacity and the hum you hear is alternator?
Hmm... battery, didn't think of that, wonder if we have even replace it yet, car is just under 3 years old but with all those miles, that may be something to look at. Would the noise stop after the engine gets warm?

·
Skxawng
457 Posts
it should not be the battery at this mileage. was just a guess... The best way is to try and locate the source of hum... does it depend if AC is ON/OFF?

·
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Darnit! I got the extended maintenance so the battery would be perfect LOL

AC is not in use when this happens

1 - 7 of 7 Posts