BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine started leaking very badly the other day, got home parked it, went to take a look today... huge oil puddle under the car. And checked the oil level, looks like it has almost none, looks like it was leaking on the driver side about halfway down... Just need an idea as to what it could be...

The oil leaks bad enough that if I put it in it almost immediately drops out as soon as I turn on the car...so it's definitely not a valve cover and is too low to be a valve cover.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
You will probably need to remove the plastic, that protects the engine from underneath. I would suspect the alternator o-ring due to it being under pressure. Another item would be to check the oil filter, to make sure it is tight!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
784 Posts
I would suspect the alternator o-ring due to it being under pressure.
Really??? The alternator is connected to the engine oil system?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a lot of free time so I figure I'll throw it on some jack stands and take a look, either the o-ring or a hole in the block, any other ideas, and do you know what size o-ring I should buy?

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you describe where this is going to be located (or pics), I've swapped a couple alternators before, but any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Crazy busy at work these days so no more quick replies from me for the time being. :(

I'm with Herb, if it's a leak from below then I would guess oil filter housing or that alternator mounting cover. Here is a video for a 7 series which has a very similar part.

You could have a leak from the oil pressure switches or other various gaskets but those don't tend to be gushers like the one you are experiencing.

If you remove the plastic under-shield I think you will no problem finding the leak.

·
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg
1,215 Posts
If oil is leaking out almost as fast as you put it in like you said.... Sounds like a hole/crack in the oil pan (I hope that's all it is for you) or engine block.
In any case you'll have to get underneath her and take those under-covers off. A leak that bad should slap you in the face and be easy to see...
How many miles do you have on her? Has she been running hot, rough and making any noises?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That video makes it sound like a pain in the aas to get to how many hours of work is it?

·
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg
1,215 Posts
I just looked at that video too.... Well, that's one thing the Germans didn't get right in there engineering of the car...
I wouldn't think you could loose that much oil that quick with a bad gasket on the oil cooler/alternator mount...
But engines can through you for a loop sometimes....
Let us know what the diagnosis is....

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got under the car today and took the plates off...oil is everywhere and couldn't tell where it was leaking from...going to send it to my indy...if it's a bigger issue, I will probably be leaving the 6er community due to this car becoming a huge hassle, I feel as if is garagec more than driven. Either way, I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Indy called, looks like it is the oil sender unit gasket, going to go ahead and replace the unit for an additional $20, total should be about $400+oil and filter. For reference, my car now has about 82K miles. Will update if it is anything else.

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
Indy called, looks like it is the oil sender unit gasket, going to go ahead and replace the unit for an additional $20, total should be about $400+oil and filter. For reference, my car now has about 82K miles. Will update if it is anything else.

That is a 12.00 part that takes 15 minutes to change. Am I missing something here?

These cars are like our wives! We turn our back, & they take our money! :mad::mad:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I meant oil cooler gasket; my mind was in two places, I just got my oil sender units in the mail.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts