BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at an 08 535i and the seller showed me this pipe/hose that has hardened tape around it. He claims it was leaking and his mechanic taped it. The check engine light comes on during WOT and he says it is because of this. I know it can be a litany of other things but what is this hose? I’m curious what it costs to replace/repair. Thanks for the help.
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is that the inlet for the front turbo? Unlikely that would cause a CEL, but I can't imagine how it could have broke through normal operation. If that is cracked, what else is damaged? Someone was in there that doesn't know what they are doing...

What codes are present?

·
Registered
2010 528i
43 Posts
Tape will not stop a leak. Looks like oil got out below that taped hose. FCP euro has oe parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that the inlet for the front turbo? Unlikely that would cause a CEL, but I can't imagine how it could have broke through normal operation. If that is cracked, what else is damaged? Someone was in there that doesn't know what they are doing...

What codes are present?
I haven’t pulled codes. Shade tree mechanic buddy of his rigged that up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Any idea what that part is?
Hard to tell from the picture, but looks like #1 here: RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

Again, I don't think that is causing the CEL. Air through the inlet is not metered. I guess it is possible that, under the tape, the pipe is collapsed/crushed in and obstructing air flow...

My concern would be that Mr. Shadetree applied equal finesse to other "repair" jobs.

There are many, many, many things that can trip a CEL - need codes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts