Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was merging onto the highway yesterday at the end of a 250 mile road trip. While accelerating from 30-60 the "Engine Malfunction: Reduced Power" message appears. I've had this car for about 3 months (purchased with 26,000 miles). There didn't appear to be much change in the performance of the car but brought it straight to the dealer for them to check out. Has anyone experienced this before? After turning off the car, the message went away.
Once I have the code, I will add to this thread.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
OP, you may want to update what your profile with details about your vehicle. "X5" means nothing. Could be a diesel, could be an //M.

Regarding the error: it can mean anything, really. I got one on Saturday after foolishly forgetting to reconnect the Mass Air Flow sensor after cleaning it and few other tasks in the engine bay. Error in iDrive stayed between restarts.

By the way, you do no have to run to a dealer right away. In fact, it pays to be prepared by at the very least knowing about what code was thrown, less chance for SA to BS you.

I dropped by O'Reily Autoparts, they loan their OBD scanner for free. Before walking in the door, I remembered about MAF connector, opened the hood and yes, it was disconnected. Got their OBD scanner to clear the code and was on my way home in 5 minutes.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,452 Posts
One point- there can be 'BMW specific' cods that a standard, generic OBD code reader cannot read/interpret....hence an explanation for 'no codes'. IMO any confirmed fault that displays a message will set a code somewhere. Again IMO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update, just picked up the car. there was a fault for the charging pressure control 002C57. After some back and forth, they replaced the wastegate converter solenoid and small hose that attaches to it. They also noticed that the crankcase valve was cracked. After this, they were unable to get the engine light to come back on.
Diag Code D1165_B000000_04_900

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,452 Posts
That is a low boost value- the DME expected a certain boost but didnt see that.

Lots of things can do that. Lets hope they ran the appropriate tests and fixed it.

BTW '2C57' is the BMW specific code for your fault....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine Malfunction low power

Received this code after a battery went low and required a charge. Must take to dealer to reset code

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,452 Posts
Received this code after a battery went low and required a charge. Must take to dealer to reset code
1. Any OBD code reader can reset codes, does not need to go to a dealer or even a 'shop'

2. If a car 'needs a charge', you MOST LIKELY have a charging or battery issue. Batteries don't just 'und down and need charging' unless something is wrong or the car was purposefully get on and draining for hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts