BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
new to the forum and have had a search for my issue.
With the E90 not having much info on car engine management, like engine temp, oil pressure etc Is there any software or hardware that can be downloaded/purchased that can give 'on the move' information on the engine management?

I see there are some OBD2 port hardware devices that can be bought that can diagnose issues, but i wanted more in car on the move telemetry.

Thanks in advance
Steve

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
2,954 Posts
...not having much info on car engine management, like engine temp, oil pressure etc Is there any software or hardware that can be downloaded/purchased that can give 'on the move' information on the engine management? I see there are some OBD2 port hardware devices that can be bought that can diagnose issues, but i wanted more in car on the move telemetry.
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum! There are all kinds of devices you can connect to your OBD socket that will give you selected Parameters or Live Data. Question is, realistically what do you need to be trying to watch as you drive (safely ;-) and how often do you anticipate needing that information?

Personally, I would just log data on my laptop connected to the OBD II socket (as opposed to trying to view it as I drove), or else have someone else drive as I watched the Live Data. There are devices you can connect to the OBD Socket that can display one or two selected parameters, but that socket is NOT located where you can safely see it when you drive.

Best compromise solution I know of is actually FREE. :)

Use Hidden Menu 7.00 to view ECTS temp readout on your instrument cluster as you drive (have to set it up each time you start engine), or 9.00 to view system voltage if you want to monitor Alternator output.
http://e90.wikifoundry.com/page/BC+hidden+menus

Since there is NO oil pressure sensor (just an idiot light switch) at least on the N52 engines (you don't say what engine you have), the only way to get actual oil pressure is by hooking a gauge up where the pressure switch is mounted at the OFH. If you have oil pressure issues, you need more than telemetry. :)

If you find a solution that meets your needs, please post back,
George

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,283 Posts
Hi
With the E90 not having much info on car engine management, like engine temp, oil pressure etc Is there any software or hardware that can be downloaded/purchased that can give 'on the move' information on the engine management?
I use a ScanGauge II plugged into the OBD port and located below the headlight switch on my F22. With the BMW/Mini firmware option, it reads a ton of engine data. One of the standard colors for lighting it matches the orange dash lighting pretty well. Currently, mine is set to continually display engine oil temperature, water temperature, oil pressure, and voltage.

Does it have a real 70s J.C.Whitney feel? Sure. However, you can't see it from outside of the car, and inside the car no one but the driver can see it. In this location, the left 2 columns (oil temp and water temp on mine) are visible to the driver all the time, and the other two can be seen if I move my head to the left a little bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
2,954 Posts
I use a ScanGauge II plugged into the OBD port and located below the headlight switch on my F22...Currently, mine is set to continually display engine oil temperature, water temperature, oil pressure, and voltage.
Did you use that same setup on your 335xi?
Does the F22 have an actual oil pressure sensor, or is the display value essentially constant?
What High-Low range values do/did you see for oil pressure on the M235xi & 335xi?
Can you get the same display (one value at a time) using Hidden Menu on the F22?

I realize the inconvenience of having to set Hidden Menu at each startup.

Thanks,
George

·
Breaking in the Pony
6,283 Posts
Did you use that same setup on your 335xi?
No. The F22 has a smaller dash than the E90/F30 series cars, so they left the oil temperature gauge off. Absolutely infuriating in a turbocharged car, especially considering that the space where it should go at the bottom of the tach has a video display generating various style MPG gauges, depending on the driving mode that is set. I did the engineering menu game for a few weeks, got sick of having to set it up every time, and moved to another solution.

Does the F22 have an actual oil pressure sensor, or is the display value essentially constant?
Discrete oil pressure sensor.
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-14866-12617592532-genuine-bmw-part/

What High-Low range values do/did you see for oil pressure on the M235xi & 335xi?
As with any car, it varies with temperature and RPM. From memory on the highway in the F22, 60-ish cold, 30-ish fully warm. I remember some readings in the 70s, but don't recall the conditions at the moment. Never looked at oil pressure in the E92.

Can you get the same display (one value at a time) using Hidden Menu on the F22?
At least some of them (water and oil temperatures come to mind). Never liked the engineering menu, so I didn't play with it for long.

I realize the inconvenience of having to set Hidden Menu at each startup.
Yup. Notable PITA.

·
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt
879 Posts
I've used a few tools - key for me is simplicity and portability. INPA/ISTA/BMW Scanner etc are ok but I'll be danged if I'm gonna drag a laptop between vehicles. I prefer to use my iPhone. I keep OBD WiFi or BT dongles in most of the cars I drive (that's 8 currently) so I just need to have my phone with me. (which I typically do). I've also got two projects on the go that requires I monitor DME calculated values and BMW Specific parameters in the e46 and e9x vehicles so I am constantly monitoring 4 vehicles every time they are driven.

There is no one tool that is best - if it's great for portability and cost then it usually lacks features (coding and depth). If it excels in analysis and BMW specific params it often is not very portable or affordable or lacks coding function. However data monitoring and logging is a beast of it's own and so the tool for that might not be the one you use to change the number of times your windshield wipers swipe.

If I'm just monitoring regular standard OBDII data then nothing beats OBD Fusion for cost and functionality. total investment is about $20 and I have a portable OBD tool that does extensive data logging, scanning and clearing of codes. It is also user configurable and I can design my own "dashboards" to capture different data on different chassis. It is limited to DME & EGS functions however and does not read proprietary BMW parameters. However the app has the ability to add custom PIDs provided you have the correct address/mapping info from the manufacturer. BMW sells this data annually for $25k with a twice annual update @ $2k per occurrence. This is the info folk use to develop apps like Carly or CarSoft, SnapOn or BimmerCode which can pull BMW non-standard OBDII specific parameters (I.e. E-Fan RPM Deviation etc.) I have an older version of the documentation but there are still strict NDA agreements so it cannot be posted publicly.

I don't use INPA or ISTA for data logging - IMHO it's too cumbersome to drag along a notebook or netbook for road trips. I do use these for live data monitoring in a shop environment.

I hate saying this (especially since they moved to an annual subscription basis.) but Carly for BMW has the best live data monitoring and logging capabilities for BMW that I have used. The extent of the BMW specific parameters is astonishing in comparison to other apps. There are quirks such as their calc value methods for things like LOAD but in all it is very robust. Carly updates parameter values twice per second while the vehicle is operating - makes for excellent analysis data, charts and plotting.

Find attached a couple of screen shots (iPhone) for OBD Fusion and Carly - OBD Fusion is providing live monitoring, the Carly screenshot is data logging. I also attached a sample data log from yesterday on an e46 that I did with Carly.

Lastly Torque Pro is also very good (portable) and allows custom PID creation for BMW Specific params.

Attached - sample Carly log file from e46 yesterday.

Attachments

·
Breaking in the Pony
6,283 Posts
I hate saying this (especially since they moved to an annual subscription basis.) but Carly for BMW has the best live data monitoring and logging capabilities for BMW that I have used.

Lastly Torque Pro is also very good (portable) and allows custom PID creation for BMW Specific params.
I've used both. Personally, I found that a properly configured Torque setup is superior to the Carly app, but that restricts you to Android phones.

Biggest problem I had is, again, having to set up the app every time you get in the vehicle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi

I see there are some OBD2 port hardware devices that can be bought that can diagnose issues, but i wanted more in car on the move telemetry.

Thanks in advance
Steve
I think you are looking for more than just some simple PIDs neatly displayed at all times like the other guys have
I use Scanxl pro but more for diagnostic monitoring and logging
ie.. the laptop as passenger logging numerous PIDs on a roadtrip then analyze afterwards

·
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt
879 Posts
I've used both. Personally, I found that a properly configured Torque setup is superior to the Carly app, but that restricts you to Android phones.

Biggest problem I had is, again, having to set up the app every time you get in the vehicle.
I hear you. I was a Carly beta tester and a Carly Trainer a few years back when Ivini first developed (BMW What come Carly) . I wanted them to have param monitor configs savable locally on the iPhone so it was easier to move between chassis that offered different BMW Specific params. I think it is an iPhone/Apple issue as even coding backups are stored on their central server or emailed to the end user.

Alas I put away Torque Pro when I moved to Apple a few years back. The feedback I have recently though is that the latest versions of Carly has far surpassed TP in access to the non standard OBDII params - especially for late model bimmers. That's from forum feedback from regular TP users. They claim that the move to subscription basis has afforded a heavier investment into R&D and app development. Still pissed at them though - even if I don't have to pay - it was still wrong to do what they did.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Get a $15 elm 327 adapter and get a app like torque pro. I have that setup in my e46 m3 on Android head unit. But for the e9x series use your phone and a dash mount and you can program anything you wanna see except oil pressure. Every will give 0-60 g force all kinds of neat things and it’s not expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great!

Thanks guys for the replies, I didnt know about the hidden menu (thanks George) The gauge watching come from being a pilot.
I do like the scangauge II option and the phone connected to the obd port. I'll explore those options.

Cheers
Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts