Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. I am new here and I just get some advice.

So last week my car asked me to add 1 quart of engine oil. I went to O'Reilly and find the only LL-01 approved(though no longer) Mobil 1 0w-40 is available. I add that 1 quart to my engine and there is some engine noise at idle speed that never happened before. Is that common?

I did some search in the forum and find some useful advice here.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885745

But I just bought some GC 0w-40 yesterday since I found some people said it's quieter than mobil 1.

Does this oil good? I ll do oil change this week and hope I get a good result.

Also, I live in California Bay area. Not very cold here. Is 0w-40 oil a good fit in summer? I found someone said 0w is better for winter and 5w is for summer. The manual says 5w-30 or 5w-40.

Thanks all._a__a2_

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have been running Mobil 1 0w-40 from Walmart for the last year. I have to add a quart approximately every 1500 miles. I've fixed a bunch of leaks but still have evidence of a rear main leak.

Just for grins I switched to GC on this last change. I've already gone over 1500 miles and the guage is showing almost at maximum. It's too early to say for sure, but looks like GC may be a winner for me.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I ran M1 0w40 for a bit and can't say I had any issues with it. I've tried GC and that worked fine as well. Now I'm on Castrol 0W40 since GC isn't really on the shelves anymore. Liqui Moly has a great rep but I've never personally tried it because I like buying OTC instead of ordering oil. Perhaps I'll try it at some point in the future.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The German Castrol (GC) that I'm running was found at a local Walmart. It's also available from Amazon. It's 0w-40 weight but says "European Formula", "Made in Germany", and "BMW Longlife-01" on the label.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Been running Mobil 1 0w40... Signature bmw ticking on cold starts and then quiets down once the engine warms. My theory is bmw took Mobil 1 off their approved list cuz they were probably seeing big dips in their oil sales along with dealership oil changes taking a hit. Like what I'm hearing about the GC though... I'll give that a shot on my next change!!!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The German Castrol (GC) that I'm running was found at a local Walmart. It's also available from Amazon. It's 0w-40 weight but says "European Formula", "Made in Germany", and "BMW Longlife-01" on the label.
Traditionally, 'GC' has referred to Castrol's 0W30 LL01 oil. That is the one that has garnered a great reputation over the years. https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06244-0W-30-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B007G7PUMS

Since M1 0W40 is no longer LL01 certified and I care about that stuff, the Castrol 0W40 is what I have been using.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I personally have not had much luck with GC or Mobil 1 in N62's . But call me crazy (I'm sure everyone will) I've completely switched to shell Rotella T6 in all my BMWs including (2) of them being N62. Oil consumption is obsolete Note: I never wait more than 7500 miles to change. I know the LL-01 spec is so important, important if you go by service reminder. Just my personal experience, not a sermon.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Traditionally, 'GC' has referred to Castrol's 0W30 LL01 oil. That is the one that has garnered a great reputation over the years. https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06244-0W-30-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B007G7PUMS

Since M1 0W40 is no longer LL01 certified and I care about that stuff, the Castrol 0W40 is what I have been using.
Why not just use bmw oil if you're gonna pay the same price? Are you getting better results from the GC? I'm with ya on not using M1 anymore though... Still think it's a marketing ploy, but if they say it's no longer LL01, I'll take their word.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Why not just use bmw oil if you're gonna pay the same price? Are you getting better results from the GC? I'm with ya on not using M1 anymore though... Still think it's a marketing ploy, but if they say it's no longer LL01, I'll take their word.
Oh, no, I just linked to that to show which exact oil I was referring to...I don't buy it at that price. The traditional GC 0W30, I had a stash that I paid $1/quart for. Since I'm out of that stash, I'll just be using Castrol 0W40 that's cheap at walmart. Between all the oils I've used, including a run of BMW 5W30 that my indy put in after doing the valve stem seals, I have honestly never been able to tell a difference. Ideally, I would send off oil samples to Blackstone and compare but I have never been that serious about it. As far M1, I feel like they'll eventually get the cert back...but who knows? We'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oh, no, I just linked to that to show which exact oil I was referring to...I don't buy it at that price. The traditional GC 0W30, I had a stash that I paid $1/quart for. Since I'm out of that stash, I'll just be using Castrol 0W40 that's cheap at walmart. Between all the oils I've used, including a run of BMW 5W30 that my indy put in after doing the valve stem seals, I have honestly never been able to tell a difference. Ideally, I would send off oil samples to Blackstone and compare but I have never been that serious about it. As far M1, I feel like they'll eventually get the cert back...but who knows? We'll just have to wait and see.
Ahhhhh, cool... Thanks for the follow-up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts