BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will be announced on the 1st June

BMW won in 6 categories out of 11

International Engine of the Year 2005: BMW 5l V10 (M5, M6)
Best New Engine of the Year: M5/M6
Best Performance Engine: M5/M6
Above 4-litre: M5/M6

2.5-litre to 3-litre : 535D
3-litre to 4-litre : M3

:p

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
BMW does make the best engines in the world (in all modesty).

I am a little shocked that the gasoline-powered Valvetronic 6s didn't make the cut...were they honored last year or was there something truly amazing in that class that took the honors?

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
philippek said:
BMW does make the best engines in the world (in all modesty).

I am a little shocked that the gasoline-powered Valvetronic 6s didn't make the cut...were they honored last year or was there something truly amazing in that class that took the honors?
i tend to think honda engines > *

·
Registered
903 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
will be announced on the 1st June

BMW won in 6 categories out of 11

International Engine of the Year 2005: BMW 5l V10 (M5, M6)
Best New Engine of the Year: M5/M6
Best Performance Engine: M5/M6
Above 4-litre: M5/M6

2.5-litre to 3-litre : 535D
3-litre to 4-litre : M3

:p
Wow, even with its tendancy to explode and being a little outdated the S54 wins again.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
TD330ci said:
Wow, even with its tendancy to explode and being a little outdated the S54 wins again.
What's a little explosion every once in a while??? :dunno:

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
BMW has scooped up the majority of the engine awards since 1999. I am not surprise at all with the exception that the new inline 6 in the E90 that make the cut. BMW does make the best engines in the world hands down.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
International Engine of the Year Award 2005
1 BMW 5.0-litre V10
2 BMW 3.0-litre twin-turbo straight-six diesel
3 Toyota 1.5-litre hybrid

Best New Engine Award 2005
1 BMW 5.0-litre V10
2 Ferrari 4.3-litre V8
3 Toyota 3.3-litre hybrid

Best Engine Above 4.0-litre Award 2005
1 BMW 5.0-litre V10
2 Ferrari 4.3-litre V8
3 VW 5.0-litre V10 diesel

Best Performance Engine Award 2005
1 BMW 5.0-litre V10
2 Ferrari 4.3-litre V8
3 Mercedes AMG 6.0-litre twin-turbo

Best Engine 2.5-litre to 3-litre Award 2005
1 BMW 3.0-litre twin-turbo straight-six diesel
2 Honda 3.0-litre hybrid
3 BMW 3.0-litre straight-six

Best Engine 3.0-litre to 4.0-litre Award 2005
1 BMW 3.2-litre straight-six
2 Porsche 3.8-litre
3 Toyota 3.3-litre hybrid

·
Registered
182 Posts
Why is it though BMW tend to lag in brute horsepower on the regular straight 6? I get tired of seeing new sporty cars with 240 to 280 HP (Subaru, Lincoln, Cadillac, Toyota, etc) while BMW is stuck with the same ol' stuff. Why can't they put some punch in them to keep pace with everyone else? The gap seems to get worse every year. And most of us are not in the market for an M3 or M5 to get HP in that range. It seems to get harder and harder to keep beating a new stock Lincoln LS, Subaru WRX's, etc, in "impromtu" street drags at the red light nowadays... :D

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
Silver328i said:
Why is it though BMW tend to lag in brute horsepower on the regular straight 6? I get tired of seeing new sporty cars with 240 to 280 HP (Subaru, Lincoln, Cadillac, Toyota, etc) while BMW is stuck with the same ol' stuff. Why can't they put some punch in them to keep pace with everyone else? The gap seems to get worse every year. And most of us are not in the market for an M3 or M5 to get HP in that range. It seems to get harder and harder to keep beating a new stock Lincoln LS, Subaru WRX's, etc, in "impromtu" street drags at the red light nowadays... :D
None of those manufacturers that you mention even make an inline 6 that i'm aware of. Subaru turbochargers most of their model lineup so that explains the power advantage, have you ever driven a non-turbo subaru they are slow as sh!t. Cadillac has a 3.6 V6 in the CTS that makes like 255hp but its not as fast as a 330 and its a larger engine. Name a car in the Toyota current line up that can smoke and outhandle the 330? Personally I agree with your point but BMW engines always perform much better than the numbers on paper. For example the G35 with 280hp can do 0-60 in the 5.5-5.8 second range and the E90 330i can do it as well despite the lack of horsepower. Also the 235hp 330 ZHP can hang with a G35 as well, but when you get to triple digit speeds then you notice the difference. I read in a magazine last month and the CEO of BMW said "We will not settle for the horsepower in our current engine family", then bam the new V8 rolls out with 360hp for the 750,650. and 550 sedan. Personally i think there will be more powerful 6 cylinder BMW engine in the next year or two, some rumors claim its a turbo which i'm not to happy with.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was thinking of the Toyota Supra, but they are rare. You know the types, all those supposedly bad-ass new cars that come out and their smug owners just have to try you out for their own ego trip (and they are often dissapointed). Like this one Lincoln LS with a cocky driver just had to go for it in the lane next to me - and I wasn't ready since I was in "grocery getter mode". Well, anyway, since he got the jump on me, I didn't do as good as I could have, but I got past him in 2 seconds and kept him from catching up to me until he finally gave up. But it took all my 2.8 L had to do it (partly the late start, and maybe the horsepower - but I don't know what size engine he had, or if the V-6 or V-8).

I guess it is our mission to "educate" other drivers and their new toys as to what is what. ;)

Usually though I let them make a fool of themselves and show off the inferiority complex they have - demonstrated by their need to blast by me - while I leisurely accelerate to 35 mph like I'm listening to Lawrence Welk or Frank Sinatra music. Makes them look like a dumbass, and it is a way of telling them know what my car can do, and I don't need to prove it to them. I did that once to a Subaru station wagon (yeah - right - as if!).

·
ex-M couper
1,749 Posts
As a related aside to this topic, I have long wondered why auto manufacturers develope a great, high-horsepower engine and then think that the only use for it is to power overweight tanks.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Bob Clevenger said:
As a related aside to this topic, I have long wondered why auto manufacturers develope a great, high-horsepower engine and then think that the only use for it is to power overweight tanks.
I think it's the other way around: they develop overweight tanks and then have to make high-horsepower engines to power them.

·
ex-M couper
1,749 Posts
philippek said:
I think it's the other way around: they develop overweight tanks and then have to make high-horsepower engines to power them.
And I have no problem with that, as far as it goes. If that spurs them to make a great engine, so much the better for the enthusiast. The 1951-'58 Chrysler Hemi (331-392 CID) was exactly such a beast. My question for the automakers is still: "Why not make a smaller car in which to put that engine, or put it in an existing smaller car?" To an extent, BMW did this when they put the S54 in the Z3 coupe and roadster, creating the M coupe and M roadster. Why not put that 10 cylinder Engine of the Year (and a great one it is!) in a Z4 chassis? Or in a 3-er?

·
It's Beeeemer, damnit!
27 Posts
Matthew330Ci said:
i tend to think honda engines > *
BMW > Honda in my eyes.

As far as I know Honda don't have continuously variable valve timing and lift - they have a definite changover point for the lift. VTEC and i-VTEC give you that kick when the cam changes profile, whereas Valvetronic is changing lift and timing constantly. Although some might like the kick as it makes the car feel fast, I'd rather have an engine that is operating with the best cam profile at ALL times, and is actually faster :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bob Clevenger said:
And I have no problem with that, as far as it goes. If that spurs them to make a great engine, so much the better for the enthusiast. The 1951-'58 Chrysler Hemi (331-392 CID) was exactly such a beast. My question for the automakers is still: "Why not make a smaller car in which to put that engine, or put it in an existing smaller car?" To an extent, BMW did this when they put the S54 in the Z3 coupe and roadster, creating the M coupe and M roadster. Why not put that 10 cylinder Engine of the Year (and a great one it is!) in a Z4 chassis? Or in a 3-er?
Probably too many morons would end up killing themselves. I have a mechanic friend who is an old timer and been in the business since the 50's, and in the 1960's he once put a 60's era Corvette engine (from a wrecked car) into a junky 1950 Studebaker for a guy. The car lasted 3 days ----- the guy wrapped it around a tree! (He survived).

Another guy who used to work on cars knew someone who put a Chevy V-8 into a VW bug and the torque ended up twisting the unibody. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Double Vanos said:
None of those manufacturers that you mention even make an inline 6 that i'm aware of. Subaru turbochargers most of their model lineup so that explains the power advantage, have you ever driven a non-turbo subaru they are slow as sh!t. Cadillac has a 3.6 V6 in the CTS that makes like 255hp but its not as fast as a 330 and its a larger engine. Name a car in the Toyota current line up that can smoke and outhandle the 330? Personally I agree with your point but BMW engines always perform much better than the numbers on paper. For example the G35 with 280hp can do 0-60 in the 5.5-5.8 second range and the E90 330i can do it as well despite the lack of horsepower. Also the 235hp 330 ZHP can hang with a G35 as well, but when you get to triple digit speeds then you notice the difference. I read in a magazine last month and the CEO of BMW said "We will not settle for the horsepower in our current engine family", then bam the new V8 rolls out with 360hp for the 750,650. and 550 sedan. Personally i think there will be more powerful 6 cylinder BMW engine in the next year or two, some rumors claim its a turbo which i'm not to happy with.
It is true that BMWs these days lack horsepower though - regardless of the fact that the competition is not exactly inline 6. Nissan/Infinity with the the 3.5L engine, and Accura TL or even the TSX (200 hp vs my 184). Of course, BMWs are way better in any aspect - but these days you have to make the argument that "it is a better car despite the less horsepower" instead "it is a better car in every way".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just my 2 cents...

I think BMW dramatically understate their HP ratings to that of norms. Of course, HP ratings are really too hard to judge as even the exact same car will come up with huge difference in HP just by going on different Dyno, at different location, during different time of the year. Bottom line, comparing HP ratings is really useless. And of course the power curve makes the biggest difference. The more linear the graph, the better the car performs in real life, despite top HP. I can honestly claim the new 330i has more power to the crank then it claims based on the fact of the two other cars I drove back to back with this car.

First, I own (oops, used to own, just sold it) a 2002 Eclipse with a custom turbo setup running a very modest 7lbs boost and was dynoed at 200hp to the wheel. With the power loss, you should probably consider this car to be 240 or 250hp to the crank (or how usually manufacturers measure their power). Second, I test drove the G35 coupe 6spd manual w/298hp the same day I test drove the 330i. The 330i (manual w/sports pkg) feels dramatically more powerful, more torqy, and the power definitely is more constant then either of the two other cars.

Of course these are all low end power and under 60-70mph, I don't know if at high speed if the power is still there. I'm sure it definitely won't be as powerful as my Eclipse just because above 100mph, when the large t3/t4 really spools, the eclipse pulls HARD. Well either way, I ordered the 330i, and just by refinement alone, I got it over the G35. I don't think you can buy a G35 over 330i after you test drive both, unless that 3 or 4 grand really makes a difference to you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts