BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the car's computer alerted me to the fact that my engine oil level was low so I stopped at the nearest gas station (a Marathon) and searched for 5W30 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil... The only brand they carried was "Peak" which I'd never heard of before... I know BMW recommends Castrol brand... Just wondering if all motor oils are "created equal" or if I should have gotten the recommended brand. I figured as long as it was the right type I would be good. Also, the "Measuring Engine Oil Level" took forever and by the time I got home it was still calculating the level. Please, my esteemed F07 forum members, share your experiences and preferences for refilling motor oil.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw, here's a shot of DRKSHDW from earlier today post her weekly spa treatment. ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1469934895.776253.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
I need to put a quart in quite often and use the recommended castrol. I am sure if it is fully synthetic and if just one bottle, it's fine. I would look into stocking up on castrol because she'll soon be asking for more

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
I keep a quart in the car (in the trunk, under the "matt") I use 2 quarts between oil changes. I've been told by the dealer that that's considered "normal consumption"

I've mentioned here before, I've own some real ****boxes over the last 30 years. The BWM has been the only car I've ever owned that needs to carry a quart in the trunk

·
There is no spoon
1,964 Posts
Ugh, I hate this topic. It always knots me up with anger. This is not normal, they are feeding a line of BS to customers. How do I know? There are multiple engines all running turbos along different model lines of different manufacturers and there are always people who state their cars do not consume oil in between changes. That would mean those cars are not normal and need to be "fixed".

BTW, ours does not consume oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I keep a quart in the car (in the trunk, under the "matt") I use 2 quarts between oil changes. I've been told by the dealer that that's considered "normal consumption"

I've mentioned here before, I've own some real ****boxes over the last 30 years. The BWM has been the only car I've ever owned that needs to carry a quart in the trunk

Mine is the exact same as yours. I am hoping it gets better now that I am at 25k miles...if it does not I will likely trade it in before the warranty ends.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mine is the exact same as yours. I am hoping it gets better now that I am at 25k miles...if it does not I will likely trade it in before the warranty ends.
I was using a quart every 10k at 25K miles, now at 62k it's a quart every 5k miles.

And if I'm not mistaken, there was a service bulletin that the N63 should get an extra quart at change (I haven't changed the oil myself yet, only the dealership) so in theory, it's using 3 quarts between changes

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been at 2 quarts between oil changes so far. So at about 5k and 15k miles. Just waiting for the light to come on again. The system tells me to put in 2 quarts and it's right. I only carry 1 spare quart around though.

I like the car but now that my wife is driving a Cayenne S and we use that on weekends I'm thinking about something smaller and nimbler since it will now be just me and maybe one kid in the car. Too many options to consider in that case.

I was using a quart every 10k at 25K miles, now at 62k it's a quart every 5k miles.

And if I'm not mistaken, there was a service bulletin that the N63 should get an extra quart at change (I haven't changed the oil myself yet, only the dealership) so in theory, it's using 3 quarts between changes

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I only have about 36K on min 535, but it has never shown the oil level to drop between oil changes, and I typically end up with annual ones, since I'm not putting lots of miles on it. The 550 is a different beast, and people probably drive it harder.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the 2nd time in as many years that I've needed to have the oil topped off... The last time was about a year ago... I've never seen or smelled smoke while driving the car either... Not too worried about it given that others say they've had to do it many more times.

·
Registered
493 Posts
N55 engine here and I have to add 1 qt every 6-8 months or so. I've had to do this for years since purchasing the car at 20k miles. Save yourself some stress and just buy a case of Castrol to have just in case and keep a qt in the rear.
F10's have the same issue although it seems to be only in some, not all. I haven't heard of N20 engines requiring additional oil though.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I wonder how many people follow BMW's recommended break-in routine? Even though I bought mine using European Delivery, and the desired to haul ass on the autobahn was there, I kept things to the recommendations (100mph top was enough, but you needed to get there a bit slower and not stay at one speed forever). I know that the temptation to trounce on things is hard to restrain for the recommended 1K miles or so, but that may be one reason why some use oil, and others do not.

·
There is no spoon
1,964 Posts
I wonder how many people follow BMW's recommended break-in routine? Even though I bought mine using European Delivery, and the desired to haul ass on the autobahn was there, I kept things to the recommendations (100mph top was enough, but you needed to get there a bit slower and not stay at one speed forever). I know that the temptation to trounce on things is hard to restrain for the recommended 1K miles or so, but that may be one reason why some use oil, and others do not.
And yet numerous festers and BMW CA's & SA's say the exact opposite for the N63, so take that FWIW. I agree with you about following break in period, but there is no hard evidence to prove it true as there is a F01 owner who claims he has never had an oil consumption issue and didn't follow the recommendations you listed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone heard of oil consumption lead to anything else? I don't mind the quart here and there but worry there is something bad down the line...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
There is no spoon
1,964 Posts
It will be long term usage effects (not unlike eating high sugar/fat diet causes diabetes/heart disease), but to just name some of the more obvious:

One fester has seen oil clog the turbo lines, which affected cooling of the turbo and the turbo seized.
Oil gets in engine resulting in increased buildup of carbon deposits leading to decreased engine efficiency and increased rate of oil consumption.
That oil has to go somewhere and nobody sees it dripping meaning it is going through the exhaust system and will foul the catalytic converter(s) more quickly.

·
got something nicer?
417 Posts

lmao

·
Rogue2258
297 Posts
The N63 2009 "vintage" leaked most every where on the bottom. The oil level sensor leaked, but it was more or less fixed. Then each torx bolt on the upper/lower oil pan would seep in concert. I could tighten and stop each temporarily. Installed a new lower oil pan gasket new and bolts did not stop the leaks?? Obviously that had to be an improper install. The entire rear main seal leaked. So right where your oil pan leaks cease the rear main seal picks up the slack and lays more oil down for consistency all the way to the transmission. All and all our experience with the GT was an emotional one. Our X6 is a truck. Driving the GT was nothing like driving a truck. Oil consumption of 1qt per 1,000 if not 800 miles. I bought oil by the gallon....and Techron chasing N63 engine hesitation. All the in depth help from contributors here was part of making the GT ownership unique and enjoyable. Peace

·
Registered
291 Posts
On my F12 M6 it was a constant battle to keep the oil engine level high without tripping that warning. I think I dropped a quart in every 4-5k miles because I drove it a lot. On my 15' 550i GT I rarely get the warning maybe once in 10k so far?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts