BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I was driving my 750i and when I got back home and as I was parking a message appeared: "Engine Oil level low, please refill as soon as possible, or check with the nearest BMW center''. So I am wondering, what kinda oil does a 2006 750i uses? and where should i get it? Should I go to the dealership? BTW, the owner manual states that when engine oil level is low, I should not drive the car for more than 125 miles to prevent permenant damage to the engine. Any response would be appreciated, thanks guys:eeps: :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Hi. We use the same engine in the 650i. I have changed my engine oil after doing about 1,600 miles. Some say it's unnecessary but many of us choose to do so. (iDrive tells me the engine oil lasts much longer).

Anyway, to answer your question, best thing to do is simply bring it back to the dealer. Let them change the oil completely (and the filter too), and they will tell you exactly the oil they normally use. It's Castrol Synthetic something or rather. I'm sure one of the members here can tell you exactly.

How much has the car been driven since new?

·
Registered
124 Posts
If the cars is a 2006 I dont see any reasons why oil level should be low...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
650iOzBoy said:
How much has the car been driven since new?
The car has about 6000 miles. I drive rather agressively at times which would explain the fact the engine has been consuming some of the oil. Thanks for the response. :p I guess I will get the oil changed even though I drive says my next oil change is going to be in 4600 miles :eeps:

Attachments

·
Go Gators
10,339 Posts
The new 4.8 V8's seem to drink oil. I had a loaner 750Li and it had a low engine oil light too, I put two quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 in it and it was fine. Go to your nearest car-parts store and get some there, no need to go to the dealer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
problem resolved!

BmW745On19's said:
The new 4.8 V8's seem to drink oil. I had a loaner 750Li and it had a low engine oil light too, I put two quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 in it and it was fine. Go to your nearest car-parts store and get some there, no need to go to the dealer.
I went to my dealership on Friday, and sure enough, the service department manager came and explained to me the whole deal behind the declining oil level in the engine. First of all, I have to say I am extremely happy with my dealership; from service to sales, they treat me like a king lol:bigpimp: . But back to the subject, the service department manager explained to me that as the new 4.8 liter V8 engine on the 750 runs on high rpm, the engine tends to ''burn its oil'' and escape through the exhaust system. He said that this phenomenon is normal and that it happens at times when the engine is pushed to the limit. In other words, the more aggressive you drive means the more likely the engine will burn its oil. He added 1 quart of BMW Synthetic oil and sure enough my oil sensor came back with normal readings. I am just amazed at the level of sophistication of my 750. I never held an oil dipstick before, and now with state of the art BMW technology, it is a thing of the past! And by the way, thanks for all the response guys. :thumbup: :)

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi, everybody, yesterday i checked engine oil level and it saiz level is low on my 2006 750Li, so i added 2 quarts of oil now idrive saiz too high so i added little too much, what you guys thing should i go see diler or just ignor it, it is bad for engine?

·
Happy as a snapping clam
812 Posts
hi, everybody, yesterday i checked engine oil level and it saiz level is low on my 2006 750Li, so i added 2 quarts of oil now idrive saiz too high so i added little too much, what you guys thing should i go see diler or just ignor it, it is bad for engine?
It is either bad, very bad or terrible, depending on how far over you are. You could easily be more than a quart over, so you need to get that extra oil out asap. Best advice: go to an auto parts store in a different vehicle and buy something to suck the oil out of the hole into which you poured the oil. You should probably suck out a quart and check to see where you are.

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts
No this is funny, folks!

Guess what message popped up 2 days ago on our 760Li?
"Engine oil at minimum. Add 1 quart of engine oil.."

Went to the dealer, told him what car, filled it up myself - no big deal...
We were also told that the mileage where a refill is required depends on the driving-habits.
We have about 6600 miles on our car right now...

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
No this is funny, folks!

Guess what message popped up 2 days ago on our 760Li?
"Engine oil at minimum. Add 1 quart of engine oil.."

Went to the dealer, told him what car, filled it up myself - no big deal...
We were also told that the mileage where a refill is required depends on the driving-habits.
We have about 6600 miles on our car right now...
Hi. Not intending to hijack this thread. I'm curious how does the 760Li drive/handle? I've never driven the 760Li before. Is the V12 smooth? What do you like most about the 760Li? I don't see many here.

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts
Hi. Not intending to hijack this thread. I'm curious how does the 760Li drive/handle? I've never driven the 760Li before. Is the V12 smooth? What do you like most about the 760Li? I don't see many here.
Hi! Yes, smooth as silk is the correct description. I always compare it to a ride on a carpet (well, I never did THAT before..).
When comparing the 760 to the other bimmers we own and owned before, it's simply totally different...Our other cars make you think you are pushed from behind (especially the M5), the 760 seems to pull you forward. The V12 never sounds aggressive but always lets you know there is power left when you need it. You sometimes ask yourself "is it running already..?"
Handling? Well, it's still a BMW and handles like one - do I need to say more?....This car tops the known 7-series feeling ("I'm driving in my own little world" - I guess you know what I mean..). The difference between 760Li and M5 is as big as the difference between day and night.

·
BMW Individual
127 Posts
Now I understand why my dealer stuck a neat looking BMW pouch in my trunk with a quart of oil in the pouch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts