BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Engine oil temperature much higher than before - COOLING FAN?

697 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  allenhu0709
So my car had done as near as makes no diffrence 170000KM. In 2020 the car notified me the coolant was low, it turned out to be a radiator leak so I changed it. after this I noticed the oil temp gauge went straight up to 120 degrees c and stayed there, there was also no noise coming from the cooling fan any more. I went into the dash and it said the coolant temp was 110c. (wasnt able to check before)
before I changed the radiator, from the moment I took delivery from the dealer it had always been the oil temp guage would go up to 110c whereabouts and then the cooling fan comes on (very loud) untill the temp comes down to 90c and thats been for 9 years.

and now at idle IF you turn ON the AC the fan spins a little bit IF you turn off the AC the fan doesnt spin at all on idle and the oil temp sits at 120c coolent at 110c (it should be as before oil reach 110c maximum fan till 90c) which its not doing

I went to the dealer 20+ times for this and the answer would always be theres no error codes at all, but I still insisted of changing the coolent pump and the thermostat. but the problem still remained.

Im a bit stumped whether or not I should change the cooling fan since its quite expensive.

Now I know the N55 manual says that this temp range is normal, But I know its not normal since for 9 years it had been 90-110c (oil temp) and Ive asked other 535i gt f07 owners and they said their cars behaved exactly the same to before I changed my radiator. i.e: oil 90-110

any ideas how iI could solve this?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Well, you probably had to remove the fan to replace the radiator, probably didn't reseat the plug fully for the fan or a wire is broken or a blown fuse. I'd start there.
hmmm but I have changed a thermostat that involved taking the fan off.
the fuse I've checked there's certainly no blown ones, that's why I'm here for help
Well, you probably had to remove the fan to replace the radiator, probably didn't reseat the plug fully for the fan or a wire is broken or a blown fuse. I'd start there.
Have you checked if all the fan speeds work?
I suppose it does because it passed the ista test and I can sort of control it by turning on aircon
well I can activate maximum speed using ista
1 - 6 of 6 Posts