BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi been trying to find out what the best engine oil is and I'm totally confused. Read the pelican article and that suggests that 10w-40 should not be used - however castrol recommend GTX magnatec 10w-40 for the e30????? Anybody got any reccomendations. I'm in the UK so some of the US oils are not available. Also - my car has been fitted with wide alloys and low profile tyres - I can't find anywhere that details the tyre and the model + pressures, does this matter? Do I just inflate to the pressures listed regardless of tyre type. Any help would be appreciated guys...

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
As far as oil goes, I've used 10w40 in mine since I first got it, and haven't noticed any problems.

·
another E30 nut
916 Posts
i use Castrol Syntec 10w30. But i dont knwo what the exact weight to use in the inline 6 is

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
It depends on temperature I think. There is a little chart in the Bentley that gives recomendations by temperature.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've used Castrol 20-50 year round, temps usually range -5c to 40c. No problems to date, 260k miles.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I swear by Castrol 10-40 in my BMW, Japanese Motorcycle, and all vechiles I've owned in 32 years of ownership. I have never had a problem with castrol. One thing i know...heavier weight oil like 20-50...is cool for cars witha lot of miles because it's thicker and older parts are more worn...in a warm climate...50 weight is ok...but in cold weather the oil is heavier and it takes more engine effort to get the oil up...anyhow...go with the Castrol...confidently...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Use 10W40 if the temp doesn't rise above 50 degrees or so. It starts a lot easier and its first couple of minutes are smoother. I would use 10W40 GTX especially in the winter but the synthetic causes my rear main seal to weep up to a quart per day.

Otherwise, above 50F, use 20W50.

As far as tires are concerned, inflate them to 30 psi for the front and 32 for back to start. Watch your tires every 1k miles or so, and see how they're doing for (I'm assuming stock tires on stock rims, but....) the load and pressure. If the tire is wearing predominatel in the middle (a nice smooth spot up the middle), the pressure is too high...drop it a few. If it wears on the shoulders predominately, then it's too low, and bump it up a few and wait more.

No one believes me at work, but _tire pressure is directly related to load_. Higher loads=higher pressure. You don't need the back tires on a Chevy pickup at 80 when you only do highway driving with no load in the back. Anyway, yeah.

As far as oil is concerned, each to his own and his own preferences and comfort. But I wouldn't use anything else in the E30 except (if you have no leaks with synthetic, use it) Castrol GTX or Magnatec. Most oils aren't all that different, by federal law they have to be interchangeable...but again, each to his own, but I'd use GTX/Magnatech.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i know im probably gonna get flamed to all holy he11, but i use mobile 1 10w-30 fully synthetic. no leaks no problems.........yet

·
Registered
182 Posts
I got my 86 325es 3 months ago with 164k on it. PO always got quick lube oil changes.
Always used their base bulk oil at several different lube places.
I changed it with Mobil 1 5w-40 syn. I live in Florida and it rarely gets below 30 deg. but in the 90s every day in the summer.
I have yet to find any leaks although the motor has always had a build up of grime in certain areas which can only be from a slow leak. Always parked in garage and have not found drips on the floor

·
World Traveller Forever
1,652 Posts
hmmm...

I have been using synthetic Mobil 1 10-30 since the very beginning.
No problems at ALL!!!
325ic a beer
My 325IC M Technic now has 82,000 miles. Swwwwweeeeeeetttt!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ta

Cheers everybody - appreciate the info. General concensus is 10w-40 then. I live on a small island so engine will never get that warm and temperate weather so should protect at lower operating temps. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
razzer325 said:
Quick note on tyres if anybodys interested - they're 205 55 r15s on BMW 5 spoke....
Standard width for 325i. 2.3bar front 2.4 bar rear.

I use 15w-50 Mobile 1 in the M50 car and 20w-50 standard mobile oil in the other cars. winter time I use 10W-40. I prefer Mobil and non Penn State oils. Castrol tends to give varnish deposits for me when I used to use it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts