BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I had tried to start my vehicle a few weeks back while the outside temperatures were about -5 and in my garage they were about 30 degrees or so. I had the hot air on for 10 minutes and it was not blowing any hot air out of the fan, and about 1 minute after driving it around the block I received an "Engine overheating" emergency message. I had to go leave for a flight that morning and just parked it back in my garage and called a cab.

I wanted to see what the exact control message was tonight, so I turned the vehicle on and I did not see any control messages regarding overheating. I was surprised when I began to feel hot air blowing out of the vehicle heater in the front. I then drove it around the block the same distance I had previously with no issues or system alert messages.

I am going to take it to be looked over tomorrow in order to check everything out to ensure nothing is wrong. The question I have for you guys is have any of you ever experienced this or heard of this or something like this occurring?

Lets say that there is something wrong with the vehicle in regards to the vehicle system overheating what is the likely situation I will face as far as repairs go?

I was thinking of the following possibilities:

1. Water Pump

2. Radiator

3. Cables/Hoses

4. Ineffective Fan

5. Coolant Leak

Do any of you happen to know what the cost of these are likely to be?

I have a 2007 525i and have had the head gasket and oil pan gasket replaced in the past. I have approximately 87,000 miles on it as well.

Thank you for any input and suggestions.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Ever changed the coolant?
Check your coolant level. Add some if needed.
Perform the bleed cycle.
Test your cabin heater for heat.
Scan for codes.

Water pumps tend to fail between 75,000 and 100,000 miles. Not changing the coolant can contribute to this. Buy the pump new, because rebuilds tend to be junk.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,243 Posts
Head gasket replaced? Do you mean valve cover gasket? Head gasket would be unusual.

More than likely the water pump is dead or dying. Classic N52 water pump dying scenario. No messages on the dash about the water pump itself and no check engine light. Now, when the car overheats as a result, you get one of two variations: (1) yellow warning on iDrive about overheating and to drive gently, (2) red warning on iDrive to pull over immediately. I have two N52 engine cars and my 2006 530xi got the yellow and wife's 2009 X5 got the red - of course :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts