BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anybody had a similar experience as below?

I have a 2004 330i ZHP. It has run beautifully for almost 10k miles. Just recently I started having some cold-start issues.

After starting the car in the morning, about 3-5 minutes or 1 mile into my drive:

• the yellow brake, DSC triangle and EML lights all come on,
  • the rpm's start revving up and down between 800 and 1500 and
  • the DSC starts cutting power and braking.
This has happened about 6 of the last 10 mornings, always when I'm going about 5 mph and the DSC has no business intervening. It is scary when it happens as you are starting up through an intersection. The only way to reset seems to be to shut off the car for a minute or more and then it goes away.

Very oddly, it has never happened in the evening, when the car has been sitting for only 8-10 hours, it has only happened in the morning, when the car has been sitting for 11-14 hours.

I took it into the dealership. They saw the fault codes but had to ask BMW NA how to fix it. They replaced the DME (engine computer). This cleared the fault codes and I took the car home. Then it started happening again so it is now back in the shop! This time the "service engine soon" light came on and stayed on.

Supposedly my car already has some updated throttle body motor and wiring harness, from the factory, but they are considering replacing those. It sort of seems like they have no idea how to fix it but keep replacing parts hoping that will fix it.

Could this be a ZHP rough idle issue? Software issue? Please help!

Thanks.

·
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
1,241 Posts
If your DSC and yellow "brake" light come on while driving, and you haven't touched the DSC button (or held it down, to deactivate the brake intervention, turning on the yellow "brake" light), then I would say you have some funky stuff going on that has nothing to do with the rough idle and power drop issues most of us have been having. Sounds to me like your DSC controller -if there is such a separate controller- is on the fritz. Time to get some free coffee at the local BMW service department!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RSPDiver said:
If your DSC and yellow "brake" light come on while driving, and you haven't touched the DSC button (or held it down, to deactivate the brake intervention, turning on the yellow "brake" light), then I would say you have some funky stuff going on that has nothing to do with the rough idle and power drop issues most of us have been having. Sounds to me like your DSC controller -if there is such a separate controller- is on the fritz. Time to get some free coffee at the local BMW service department!
I took it to BMW of Seattle. They claimed to have fixed it by replacing the DME but that didn't help . . . It's back in the shop!

Any other ideas?

·
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
1,241 Posts
Well, if the controller is replaced, the other parts would be sensors and connectors. I suppose it could be a wire grounding out against chassis, but that's unlikely being a new car. Weird problem. I would amost put money on a tech flying in to check out your car if they can't figure this one out.

Ah, the joys of premium German car ownership! Hang in there, bro.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RSPDiver said:
Well, if the controller is replaced, the other parts would be sensors and connectors. I suppose it could be a wire grounding out against chassis, but that's unlikely being a new car. Weird problem. I would amost put money on a tech flying in to check out your car if they can't figure this one out.

Ah, the joys of premium German car ownership! Hang in there, bro.
Thanks for your support!

Well, they claimed it had upgraded EBD (throttle body) and wiring harness, straight from the factory, so maybe the grounding out issue is it? They claim they will replace the throttle body motor next. Hmmm, submitting issues to PuMA, BMW's internal "knowledge base" didn't seem to help.

The odd thing is that it's a cold start issue. It has happened 4 out of the last 6 mornings on the way to work, but 0 out of the last 6 evenings on the way home from work. Strange.

A tech flying in? I mean, I would be honored but also a bit concerned about being a guinea pig . . .

·
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
1,241 Posts
Could the coils trigger that many issues in the car, though? Seems to be all DSC related, from what is reported. Normally the coils, from what I read, are crappy running characteristics and a check engine light.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or the DISA valve?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any more thoughts?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They seem to have finally solved it, knock on wood. They replaced the EDK motor and main solenoid.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
I hate door dings
1,322 Posts
i am just wondering if all this happens after warranty expires, do we need to pay for each visit or just pay for the final visit that solves the problem? :dunno:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts