BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may have seen my last thread about the plumes of smoke i had happen and so i pulled the engine...found it was the ventilation system that went bad :rolleyes: so i decided to go ahead and freshen up the engine because as soon as i took the valve covers off i knew it would be a good time. Check out the sludge!! Just a reminder to fellow members....DONT CHEAP OUT ON OIL, AND CHANGE IT OFTEN!!
This is what the previous owner left me:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just took the heads down to a good friend who has always done boring/honing/ and some machine work for my engines and hes taking the heads apart, hot tanking them and reinstalling everything for $120 which is a damn good deal!!! ill post pics of the heads when they are done.

·
Registered
432 Posts
wow, what a mess. That's what 15k mile oil changes will do for you i suppose.
What are your plans for the bottom end? Bore and sleeve? I've heard you can get nearly 5L out of the M62 going that route (since you can't just bore out an alusil block).

You ought to mail those photos to bmw ag and thank them for the service interval indicator...
Mike

·
Registered
344 Posts
mottati said:
wow, what a mess. That's what 15k mile oil changes will do for you i suppose.
What are your plans for the bottom end? Bore and sleeve? I've heard you can get nearly 5L out of the M62 going that route (since you can't just bore out an alusil block).

You ought to mail those photos to bmw ag and thank them for the service interval indicator...
Mike
The 5L M motor is significantly stroked. Folks boring a 4.4L out to M bore sizes are getting closer to 4.6L, which equates to a 5% gain or less.

·
Registered
344 Posts
SoCaLE39 said:
As some of you may have seen my last thread about the plumes of smoke i had happen and so i pulled the engine...found it was the ventilation system that went bad :rolleyes: so i decided to go ahead and freshen up the engine because as soon as i took the valve covers off i knew it would be a good time. Check out the sludge!!
IMO, sludge on the motor parts and ventilation system is corrected with a scraper and proper preventive maintenance (frequent oil changes and use of good oil). Sludge dissolves over time with the use of premium oils, unless the motor is continually subjected to short trips. Of course the ventilation hardware needs cleaned and some gadgetry replaced, but I think you're making a mountain of work out of nothing. As I mentioned before, engine removal was not needed. Sludge does not mean the engine is excessively worn. I do not see any reason to disassemble as such efforts invariably do more harm than good. If you touch those valves or they get rotated at all, they can burn & you will need a valve job. Cleaning the heads may shrink the valve stem seals.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^^So your telling me that you see no problem with the pics provided??? :rolleyes: This sludge look normal to you? I have worked on many engines before as well as the guy doing the heads and we can both concure that this is more than just sludge and is due to low maintainance. So yes i pulled the engine, and now im glad i did cause the engine will be completely cleaned out and put back together within exact specs used by bmw for only $1k.. IMHO i think paying $1K for having a completely clean engine with all new seals and gaskets seems like a fair price!
Maybe i just have more ambition to take things apart and do things the right way instead of cheaping out and slapping it back together regardless of condition!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Broadly speaking, Lscman is right - good synthetic oil and ensuring the engine gets to reasonable operating temperature will eventually clean that stuff out.

But you seem to be into this far enough now that you're not going to be satisfied until you're satisfied... :D

·
Got beats?
141 Posts
SoCaLE39 said:
^^^^So your telling me that you see no problem with the pics provided??? :rolleyes: This sludge look normal to you? I have worked on many engines before as well as the guy doing the heads and we can both concure that this is more than just sludge and is due to low maintainance. So yes i pulled the engine, and now im glad i did cause the engine will be completely cleaned out and put back together within exact specs used by bmw for only $1k.. IMHO i think paying $1K for having a completely clean engine with all new seals and gaskets seems like a fair price!
Maybe i just have more ambition to take things apart and do things the right way instead of cheaping out and slapping it back together regardless of condition!
I for one think it's freakin pimp that you're taking your entire engine apart. If mine starts smoking like that, I'm flatbedding it to your place! :D ;)

Lscman may be right, but this is all about having fun with it now, nobody else is gonna put it back together!

·
Registered
63 Posts
JEM said:
Broadly speaking, Lscman is right - good synthetic oil and ensuring the engine gets to reasonable operating temperature will eventually clean that stuff out.
Not without the very good chance that the oil pump intake screen will be clogged with flakes and chunks of sludge.....seen it happen more than once on sludged up engines. Clogged oil pump intake screens are not good. Oil pumps are expensive and when oil pumps go, well....you know....it's just not good. Things get really expensive then.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If Brakleen and a toothbrush seems to only work at removing the sludge than i really dont think oil changes with high quality oil is going to break some of the sludge apart, not to mention what okie mentioned. Fact of the matter is that the sludge buildup on my particular engine is way beyond the point of which can be cleaned by any means besides teardown, otherwise i would be 100% behind lcsman. If it wasnt at this point i would have never decided to go the route i did but unfortunately that wasnt the case and could have easily just ordered up some headgaskets and buttoned up the engine a while ago.

I should be picking up the heads tomorrow as well as the misc parts that were dropped off for hot tanking. Ill also have the block ready for reassembly, so things should start coming together rather quickly. New pics coming soon!!

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
SoCaLE39 said:
now im glad i did cause the engine will be completely cleaned out and put back together within exact specs used by bmw for only $1k.. IMHO i think paying $1K for having a completely clean engine with all new seals and gaskets seems like a fair price!
:thumbup: It's great that your able to do this with your car. If I was as competant, I'd do the same if it were out of warranty. btw is your car out of warranty? the 50k cpo that goes into effect after the 50k new car W goes out? that's 100k mi we're talking about here. or does it not cover this?

All in all, working on cars can be fun and besides, what better way to spend quality time with your baby then to take her apart and put her all back together in top shape!

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
oh hey, where else was there sludge build up to be found? I think the build up is def. a result of not letting the car warm up. It makes sense to me, esp in leased cars. Who wants to wait 5+ minutes for a car, that doesn't really belong to them, to properly warm up? They just get in and go, go fast too! I put my money on that and the lack of oil changes, 15k isn't meant for most cars IMO.

·
Registered
529 Posts
ketchup said:
Who wants to wait 5+ minutes for a car, that doesn't really belong to them, to properly warm up? They just get in and go, go fast too!
Waiting a long time for your car to warm up at idle isnt the best way to warm your engine up, its actually a bad way to do it. The best way to warm up an engine is to start your car, get settled in, and then just drive. Drive slow, and gingerly for a few minutes after your temp gauge has reached its normal opertaing temp, then feel free to drive however you like.

Extended idling is one of the worst things for an engine, and its oil.

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
damn and I thought it was bad to just get in and drive.

"The best way to warm up an engine is to start your car, get settled in, and then just drive. Drive slow, and gingerly for a few minutes after your temp gauge has reached its normal opertaing temp, then feel free to drive however you like."

:thumbup: got it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts