BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if there is already a thread about this - I did a search but couldn't find one.

I've had my 2012 535i for only 10 days now. On numerous occasions after start up, the engine will rev up to 2800rpm on its own, come back down to 1800rpm, and repeat this reving/idling 6-7 times. The entire process takes no more than 15 seconds, after which the engine will idle normally. I thought this was just the engine warming itself but today I noticed a burning smell from the engine. My previous 745i did not do this.

If anyone could let me know if this is normal, I'd much appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Others have mentioned this same behavior, although it's intermittent. The dealers will probably tell you this is normal. As far as the burning smell, that is definitely normal. My car smelled like burning plastic from the exterior for about 6 months. Not when I started it, but after I had been driving around for a while and then parked in my 2 car garage, I could definitely smell it.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Yeah, mine does the "rev bounce" thing but it never hits 1,500 RPM.
Mine too but only for the first 1000 miles or so. Then it stopped. Hmmm... I've heard that new engines should never maintain the same RPM for extended times (my Mercruiser boat engine manual states that). Wonder if that's related?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Can it be influenced by the stuff you are putting in the tank?
Sounds like a exhaust gas analysis induced motormanagement thing.
Lots of alcohol in the petrol is something we Europeans do not do...

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is an old thread, but I experienced the same issue on my 2012 535ix. Revs up and down on its own about 4 times then stops. Took the car in and the dealer acknowledged the problem even though they couldn't replicate it and said it's a programming issue. They are reprogramming the car then it should be all fine..

Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 2011 535i had this problem and the dealer could not fix it. BMWNA bought back the car and I ordered a 2012 which has been GREAT! All is well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts