Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2008 535i with a seized engine good price i couldn***8217;t pass it up. So im going to buy a used engine and possibly pay to have it put in depending on price . My question is what else should I replace while the engine is going ti be out ? The car has 98k miles on dash but according to carfax it has 163k the car doesnt start and u can see alot of wear on the pulley thing like they we tryna get it started. Also is there any way to check if its the engine for sure?

·
Registered
890 Posts
You would have to try to rotate the engine. I suggest you transport the car to an indy shop and have them go over the entire car. What happens when you try to start it? Does anything move?

·
Officially a BMW Addict
833 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can do the work yourself, you may have got a great deal.
well i have a friend that will do it for under 1k
used i cant find one in my area for under 7k n theres very few on the market

i have a few issues i see the rdc computer thing is missing from the trunk and the idrive continuously resets never gets past the bmw logo. i tried reseting it by pushing eject eject n volume knob at the same time it but still no result . can i just replace the ccc with any used one or do they have to be programmed to the car or something?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Theres a possibility that the engine isnt seized how do I verify that seized ... i check the oil filter and theres no metal shavings

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,551 Posts
Pull the plugs. Turn the Jesus bolt clockwise with a big damn wrench.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do tonight.... i just seen a video about if you replace the cluster and the miles dont match your cas then it wont start is that true and if so how do i match those miles

Im pretty sure the miles are different on car fax says 163k miles that was reported a year ago but the car says 98k
And a bmw dealer reported 130k miles a few years ago when they sold it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pull the plugs. Turn the Jesus bolt clockwise with a big damn wrench.
Where is this at ? In the front of the engine where the pulleys are? Do i have to take anything off to access it and go under the car or ontop? Sorry my first bmw and i also hardly ever work on cars although i am mechanically inclined as im a mechanic for 9-5 but on machines ... just need to be pointed in the right direction

·
Registered
432 Posts
Getting the plugs out is easy. Take of the engine cover and then unclip the coils, remove and remove spark plugs. You need a narrow sided spark plug wrench to fit.

The crank is the lowest pulley on the engine. There’s a big bolt on it you need to turn.

Check you tube for videos.

And keep us updated. Always Interested to see how these things turn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Getting the plugs out is easy. Take of the engine cover and then unclip the coils, remove and remove spark plugs. You need a narrow sided spark plug wrench to fit.

The crank is the lowest pulley on the engine. There’s a big bolt on it you need to turn.

Check you tube for videos.

And keep us updated. Always Interested to see how these things turn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
im going to go buy the socket today and also i ordered cable to use inpa

1 - 20 of 64 Posts