Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All:

Although I am fairly new to posting, I have been reading Bimmerfest threads for quite some time. I have a 2005 330i sedan with the Harmon Kardon stereo. I did some research online but have not seen this issue mentioned:

Recently, regardless of whether the stereo is on or not, the sound of the engine is amplified (quite loudly as speed increases) through the rear speakers. It is so loud that it almost seems like a muffler issue, but it is not. When idling, a popping sound comes through the speakers. I should mention that this appears to happen after it has rained, so I understand that water may be getting in somewhere; however, I do not see evidence of any compromised seals, water leaks, etc.

I cannot seem to pinpoint the issue, so I was wondering if anyone has experienced this, or knows some things that I might be able to check/troubleshoot. Thank you for any suggestions that you all might have!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Marco, thanks for your suggestion. I checked all around the trunk, deck lid, speakers and amp this morning, and it appears to be dry.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Check the amp’s ground connection. Also, remove the connectors from the amp and clean both the harness connectors and the amp’s connectors with electrical contact cleaner. You have a poor connection somewhere and it’s allowing engine electrical noise into the audio system. Clean the connectors at the back of the head unit, too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Marco,

Thanks again for the advice; I finally have a bit of time to address the issue. However, I have not been successful in finding a decent Harman Kardon factory amp/sub removal tutorial. I do not feel like I have a firm grasp on how to properly disassemble things back there, and I do not want to break anything. I wonder: do you know of a good install/removal tutorial?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts