Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who hasn't got comfort access experienced been able to start the engine while the key was disengaged?

I managed to do it somehow but unsure how I did it. I was removing the fob and the engine started, I was puzzled because I wasn't even sure if I pressed the stat engine button.

I thought cool I can start the car by fob proximity but i couldn't replicate the process again.

Does anyone know how to do this?

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,190 Posts
There is a short period after turning the car off (10-15 seconds if I'm not mistaken) that yes it can be started without the key engaged.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Has anyone ... been able to start the engine while the key was disengaged? I managed to do it somehow ... I was removing the fob and the engine started, I was puzzled because I wasn't even sure if I pressed the stat engine button.

I thought cool I can start the car by fob proximity but i couldn't replicate the process again.

Does anyone know how to do this?
Ditto wcr3d...there was a 10 second cancellation of EWS recognition that was designed into its operation from the beginning. EWS II, which debuted with 1/1995 build date...were the first BMWs that used the encrypted keys that had an ISN (individual serial number) that had to match the DME, EWS control module, and keys.

As you can see in the BMW tech info below from back in the early days...there was a 10 second window where the DME/ECU didn't request the encrypted ISN. This small 10 second window has obviously carried over to later iterations of this immobilizing feature with the new generation BMWs and their CAS (car access system). So, if you do a quick restart right after turning the engine off...you can experience what you did.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts