BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have an 2006 325i and it has about 83k on it. A month ago it started shaking with rough acceleration and stuff. Check engine light on and the code was misfire cylinder four. I looked it up and the suggestion was to just replace all 6 coils and sparks plugs. Which a friend help me do last Thursday. I got all bosh replacement parts online on amazon. However the light is still on and the engine is still shaking. Any thoughts?

· Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,219 Posts
Wherever you went that suggested all 6 plugs AND coils certainly did you a disservice. Horrible advice. Usually replace the plug (or all 6 plugs if they're getting close to replacement), and then replace the single coil if changing plug(s) didn't solve the problem.

Missfires are caused by lack of spark (which you have addressed), lack of compression (unlikely but still possible, and the most expensive to fix by far), and by lack of fuel. If you are (as it seems) into the shot-gunning approach to problem fixing, replace the injector.

But there are other things to try - for instance a bad manifold gasket, leaking hoses, etc. Or getting a real mechanic to look at the problem.

· Banned
10,087 Posts
Hi guys,

I have an 2006 325i and it has about 83k on it. A month ago it started shaking with rough acceleration and stuff. Check engine light on and the code was misfire cylinder four. I looked it up and the suggestion was to just replace all 6 coils and sparks plugs. Which a friend help me do last Thursday. I got all bosh replacement parts online on amazon. However the light is still on and the engine is still shaking. Any thoughts?
Shoulda Coulda Woulda:

Switch #4 plug w/#5 - did misfire switch with it?

If yes, replace bad plug

If no, switch #4 coil w/#5 - did misfire switch with it?

If yes, replace bad coil.

If no look elsewhere....you might want to scope the engine.

Common Issues

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.