BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:):) good afternoon guys!! im sure there is a thread somewhere out there on this subject but i am getting really frustrated looking and need some advise. ok so here is whats going on. i bought a 2001 e39 525 5 series back in jan with a blown engine. as im sure you know it has the m54b25 engine in it. well i put a new engine in it i bought at a dismantler and it worked great untill a few days ago when my girl was driving it and who knows what happened but she brought it home and it was shaking violently and soon after coolant smoke starting coming from exhaust. everything was running good unti now. so it needs a new engine. looks like i either bought a crappy engine or it overheated on her and she didnt notice and goodbye engine. i recently crashed my buddies 2000 323 e46 which has a m52tub25 dual vanos engine and he said i can have the car for what insurance is selling it back to him for which is nothing really. MY QUESTION, i been looking and looking and cannot find any clear info if i am able to use the engine from the 3 series and convert it to the m54b25 thats in my girls car, i have read so far that intakes will work but is there going to be any issues in the swap? i figure i will have to change the oil pan, and i was going to change the oil filter housing and every sensor and harness and fuel rail and basically just use the sealed block, sealed head, and swap everything from my 525 engine to the m52. will this work? this will be alot cheaper than buying another engine. the car is immaculate so i dont want to throw the car away or part it. its a beautiful car for its year. any advise in advance is greatly appreciated, thanks so much guys!!!!:):)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Hey man, did you make any decision yet if you going to swap the M52 to a M54 body? I think it works because these engines are the same 2.5L. Make sure you use the original parts from the bad engine such as the sensors, etc. The only thing you need from the donor engine are the engine block and the cylinder head. Please let us know what happen.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,832 Posts
This is a duplicate thread, please let it die...or to the moderators, please delete it!

The thread everyone has stated their input to...right here!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.