BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a E36 318i (1996) with the M43 engine. I'm putting an S50B32 engine from an M3 Evo in it. along with related parts like wiring harness,radiator,ECU etc. I'm also putting in the 6 speed manual gearbox.I would appreciate any advice on this conversion especially from those who have carried out a similar job.Thanks
Durai

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
As long as you have all the parts it is pretty much plug and play. You might have some wiring issues between the engine harness and the rest of the car. Find an ETM. If you can't I can find the link I had or email you the copy I have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to know it is plug and play.I do not have an ETM and would appreciate getting the link to it. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's hard to give advice, since the M43 never came to the US. We got the M42 and M44 4-cylinder engines.
I'm also going to assume yours is right-hand drive.

The chassis is the same, so the S50 will fit. The wiring will be your largest hurdle. The rear sub-frame will need to change, to suit the medium case diff (the 4 cylinders got the small case diff). The Euro 3.2 got the large case diff, and that definately need a specific subframe.
With a subframe swap, will come the need for matching halfshafts, brakes etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes ,the rear subframe and differential is also being swapped with one from a M3.Regarding the wiring, I'm using the M3 engine harness but the rest of the wiring is the standard 318i . There are a few issues I have come across. The standard wiring does not have a connection for coolant level sensor as there is no separate coolant tank but the M3 engine comes with a coolant tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts