BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 540 started smoking white the other day when i started it up. i was told it could be head gasket and to take the spark plugs out to see what the compression was. upon doing that i found that in each side there was a lot of oil. it seemed as though the oil was sitting in the compartment above the spark plugs and so when i took them out they were totally oily. i was wondering if anyone had any idea how this oil could have go in both sides. valve gasket? and what my original problem is because the smoke is white so i wouldn't think it has to do with oil.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Sounds like you have more than one problem on your hands...did this happen on a wet day? If the cat is damp the car will let out steam (white smoke) check your oil for signs of coolant contamination and your coolant for oil

·
Registered
10 Posts
thats the valve cover gaskets leaking oil into where the spark plugs lie. That won't do anything more than effect a occasional misfire. Basically, you overdue to change the valve cover gaskets.

When it smokes white, does it smell very sweet? If so, then you have antifreeze getting into the combustion chamber. Either cracked head or head gasket.

But, it could just be moisture from a cold morning.

Maybe you should have a expert take a look at it.

Let us know -Corey

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,
If my experience is anything to go, it does not sound good. I have had to have the engine rebuilt as a result of the same symptoms. Luckily it was done under dealer warranty. About $8k worth. It started off being just a bit of white smoke, progressed to very rough idling and plugs continually fouling. Finally diagnosed as worn cylinders and rings.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it ended up being leaking intake gaskets. it was about 500 dollars in parts. i installed them myself and it took about ten hours. the car runs wonderful now. thanks for all the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts