BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '00 S52 feels like it "misses" ever so slightly while it is running. It has always been cold natured and will hesitate and "bump" a little until it warms up. After the engine gets to temperature, you can see a little movement in the engine at idle and very slightly feel it when it is running at highway speeds. It never makes any unusual sounds, it just feels like it's not quite as smooth as it should be.

I purchased a fuel filter to put on it, but the chief tech at Century told me I was wasting time and money replacing that. I haven't taken it to them because it's not posting any CEL's or anything else unusual.

What is the sympton of coil pack "breakdown"? Or spark plugs, or spark plug wires? Any thoughts or ideas are very welcome. BTW, it has 40K miles and is 6 years old.

Dwayne

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Plugs are scheduled for change at Insp. II on the S-52 (or 50k miles). My Insp. II came at 39k (just out of maint. warranty) and did plugs and a few of the plug "wires" were starting to erode around the rubber tips.

When I did Dale's Coupe last December, I noticed his plug wires were starting to go too.

Coils w/ wires attached:

Wires only:

·
Registered
327 Posts
cold

Hello Dwayne----I'm not saying this is your problem. But on the cold natured part, mine went away when I shark injected it.

Dale

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CORONET said:
Hello Dwayne----I'm not saying this is your problem. But on the cold natured part, mine went away when I shark injected it.

Dale
Thanks for your thoughts, Dale.

I have the Conforti Cam kit in mine which includes the software update. Actually, I think it was doing this a little before I installed all of that stuff. The cams and other stuff may have exacerbated the problem.

Since I wrote the original message today, I've been out in in for a few hours and have noticed that it has started to miss from time to time while sitting at idle at a longer than normal traffic light. Rev it up a little and it smooths back out.

Dwayne

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
Dwayne, Do you have tranny mount enforcers installed?

I noticed subtle engine roughness after I installed the UUC Tranny mount enforcers.

I also was told buy a BMW service tech that spark plug "tips" or "wires" or whatever they call the shaft between the plug and the coil, are often found cracked. I would think that it would be similar to a regular sparkplug wire when its shorting the spark to ground.

I plan on replacing them if I ever leave this cold forgotten place where I've been working for a month and get home.

I would pull them and inspect carefully. Or replace outright.

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bob lindquist said:
Dwayne, Do you have tranny mount enforcers installed?

I noticed subtle engine roughness after I installed the UUC Tranny mount enforcers.

I also was told buy a BMW service tech that spark plug "tips" or "wires" or whatever they call the shaft between the plug and the coil, are often found cracked. I would think that it would be similar to a regular sparkplug wire when its shorting the spark to ground.

I plan on replacing them if I ever leave this cold forgotten place where I've been working for a month and get home.

I would pull them and inspect carefully. Or replace outright.
Thanks for trying to help. I don't have any tranny enforcers.

I purchased six spark plug socket "stemmy" things from my dealer today. Will install them this weekend and check out the old ones. My friend at the local dealer said that these are 'the part of the process' that fails most often. I hope I'll know more later.

Dwayne

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
dwaynemosley said:
Thanks for your thoughts, Dale...
dwaynemosley said:
Thanks for trying to help. I don't have any tranny enforcers...
Did my post not show up?

·
10,856 Posts
Well, if you've got the fuel filter, I'd just replace it anyway. Just pulled the one on my 323 this weekend. It came out clear on one end, and brown on the other. Clearly, it had captured a decent amount of crap.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Spark it

Hey Dwayne let us know what you find!I tend to agree Inspection of the coil conduits and plugs,How many miles on it..Do you run Red line,Injector cleaner,Also go up to 85 and hwy 14 get some 95 octane in that fun beast!

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Randy Forbes said:
Did my post not show up?
Post... what post..? What picture of the items we were discussing...? :eeps: Oh, you didn't say anything about pictures, did you? :bigpimp:

Thanks a lot for those pictures. It really helps knowing what I need to change looks like.

Thanks for the help. Hope all are well.
Dwayne

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
dwaynemosley said:
Post... what post..? What picture of the items we were discussing...? :eeps: Oh, you didn't say anything about pictures, did you? :bigpimp:

Thanks a lot for those pictures. It really helps knowing what I need to change looks like.

Thanks for the help. Hope all are well.
Dwayne
Allrightythen ;)

The Dr. & I are doing fine.

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
Whats the going rate for the spark plug boots these days?

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
Cool.

See you are shipping kits. I will be doing some variant of one this summer. We'll talk.

Thanks

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
Coils w/ wires attached: Here they are a plastic type material

Wires only: Here they are rubber material

[/QUOTE]
I wonder if this is a response to the failures of the plastic? Cracks and misfires.

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
Dwayne,

How's the misfire?

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
bob lindquist said:
... I wonder if this is a response to the failures of the plastic? Cracks and misfires.
I'm pretty sure the old ones were the same as the new ones...

Did you pull yours off and find they were of a harder composition? I sent Dale's back with his Coupe, maybe he still has them and will comment.

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought new boots and plugs. They should go in this Wednesday or Thursday. I'll report back after install.

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
Randy Forbes said:
I'm pretty sure the old ones were the same as the new ones...

Did you pull yours off and find they were of a harder composition?
They are different shape, especially around the tip where it meets the plug. Tighter and more pronounced taper. But they are both rubber. Funny I could have sworn they were plastic and your photo looked plastic.

check my new post on the boots/wires/connectors whatever we call them. strange item. but then again so is very high voltage, ask Tesla.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts