Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
So, my dumbass took my X5 to some off-roading last weekend, i know, i know. It was a lot of fun and it handled mud and dirt like a champ, climbed some decent hills too. Afterwards i cleaned the outside and power washed the engine bay, but now i'm getting a vibration coming from the engine into the cabin. It only happens when i'm in D and stopped, especially when my wheels are turned a little bit to the side. Any suggestions and what is causing it? I thought it can be engine mount, but then would it also vibrate in N or P. Can it be the belts or the fan?

Thank you

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Any codes?
POWER washed the engine bay huh?
I’d say transfer case didn’t appreciate keeping track of spinning wheels in the mud but since it was after the power wash rather than the mud bath IDK.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I would think transfer case. But the power wash could have done something. This isn't a Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,779 Posts
neutral and park are non load situations. In D is a load situation, and with the wheels turned moreso.
Engine or trans mounts first thing I'd look for.
You cannot rule out eng/trans suspensions on the basis of park/drive/ As dzl points out, once you drop the trans into dirve the mounts are loaded entirely differential.

We assume no codes/lights, right? Do you have Carly or ISTA?? or ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any codes?
POWER washed the engine bay huh?
I’d say transfer case didn’t appreciate keeping track of spinning wheels in the mud but since it was after the power wash rather than the mud bath IDK.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Sorry for the late reply. No codes, b/c i dont have the code reader. The vibration came before i power washed the bay. The thing is that its not constant, sometimes it goes away. Could it be the engine support cushion?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You cannot rule out eng/trans suspensions on the basis of park/drive/ As dzl points out, once you drop the trans into dirve the mounts are loaded entirely differential.

We assume no codes/lights, right? Do you have Carly or ISTA?? or ?
Ive ordered Carly, cuz its 50$ on Amazon. But no lights or codes. Im going to replace the engine mounts. Hope it wont break my pocket:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts