BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scared to death to turn a high-pressure hose on my engine
compartment to wash it.

Any suggestions on the best way to get all the road dirt/dust out of there?

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
cc-vortex said:
Scared to death to turn a high-pressure hose on my engine
compartment to wash it.

Any suggestions on the best way to get all the road dirt/dust out of there?
Don't use high presure!!! Instead, buy an engine cleaner and follow the instructions with it. Go to the detailing forum for better instructions as I'm sure the OCD residents there have all sorts of tips for engine cleaning.

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
It's been discussed to death in the detailing forum. There are ways to do it safely, but you're right to be concerned about using a pressure washer on your engine if you value your electrical system.

·
Ik hou van Holland...
5,226 Posts
I asked my SA the other day, he told me that you can use a pressure washer, leave the engine running, carefully clean around the middle of the engine and clean the rest off by hand...:thumbup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
leave the engine running?! ahhh! if you ever spray water much less soap in your engine bay, you need to have any electrical components covered and battery unplugged. I personally know too many poeple that have had fried ECM's from that stuff. it's not that difficult to clean your engine bay by hand and make it look just as good. it just takes longer and requires patience. i implore all of you, avoid pressure washers!

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's all bad. Although there is supposed to be a safe way to do it -- covering the electrical components with plastic bags secured with rubber bands, etc. -- whenever I've tried it, I've had nothing but problems.

Best to avoid cleaning the engine at all, IMO. If you must (and you really don't need to), I'd do it by hand with a quick detailing spray.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do not use too much water and try not to overflow any electrical connectors. I just washed engine in my 04 M3. Still running )). good luck

·
Go Gators
10,338 Posts
I wash engines on modern cars all the time with a pressure washer on the lowest pressure setting. Just leave the engine turned on and make sure all covers are properly secured and you will be more than fine. The only cars that you will have a problem with ruining the electrics while washing the engine are cars built pre-1990 because back then electrics were primitive and didn't have proper protection from the elements.

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
I power wash my engine all the time, all you have to is cover up the main ECU unit behind the power steering unit. I usually stuff towels all over it to ensure that no water goes on it. So far no problems been doing it that way for a few years now even on my last E46.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts