BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,

Can anyone give me possible reasons why my engine would be hunting? Sometimes to a point where the engine cuts off. I am not sure if I use the correct phase.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
"Hunting" is not a common term used over here. Please describe more specifically what's happening, e.g., how it's varying over a typical day from the first start to last turning off of the ignition.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Many reasons for that with a commonly reported one being bad ignition coil(s). Get your OBD codes read and hopefully there will be a clue(s) to the cause.

If you haven't done basic maintenance (too), it's likely past time. E.g., the spark plugs, etc.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If it's what happened to me it was ignition coils and I also changed my spark plugs at the same time. Also, when I've had some engine noises/weirdness - bad gas, forgot to clean MAF after changing air filter, did not completely close engine oil cap after changing oil (letting extra air into engine), accidentally knocked the hose connection loose on the air filter housing when adding coolant have all caused some problems with idling or engine sounds.

I think only the ignition coils/spark plugs and the engine oil cap made it turn off. The other accidents just made it idle high or or rough, etc. Bad gas made it knock.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
If the speed of the engine at idle is changing, it's vacuum leaks. Hoses with holes, splits, loose connectors

A constant miss or rough idle ...plugs, coils, wires

1 - 7 of 7 Posts