BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
---------
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know, BMW Nav for some unknown reason lacks touch-screen. Does anybody know if there are any shortcuts for entering addresses other than using the turning knob? For example, bluetooth keyboard, PDA, cell phone? I know it is possible to transfer an address book from a cellphone but what I am looking for is: I get in the car, I have a new address I want to get to... what is the fastest method to enter it?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Greg220 said:
... I get in the car, I have a new address I want to get to... what is the fastest method to enter it?
My neighbor, in his new 545i, demo'ed his iDrive system to me last year. To enter in an address, for example 1234 Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60123, you first enter in the zip code (60123) using the iDrive knob. Then you enter the street name by doing one character at a time. As you enter in each letter the choices for which roads become narrowed because all the street names in that zip code are already known by the Nav system. My neighbor said that generally you have the street name after only 2 to 4 letters. In a similar fashion, the number choices for 'Michigan Ave' are known; let's say 1000 - 1800. It's assumed the first digit of the road is '1', so you then enter in '234'. So that's 10-12 iDrive selections to enter in that address. I thought it was well done. It may even have some voice recognition, but I'm not sure. I hope that helps.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
You can also put the cross hairs on a destination on the map and the system will determine the directions to that location. The location will be provided beforehand of where it thinks the cross hairs are so you can tweak it first before accepting the directions.
Still, touch screen its not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.