BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
response from my Sales/mgr today
My German colleagues tell me that the EPA is not issuing certificates for any manufacturer to sell MY 17 diesel cars and suv and they won't be ready until the end of the year so that is why we don't have any production. I know this is in conflict with the Automotive News report.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I specifically steered clear of the diesel this latest purchase due to the CBU issue and BMW's non-official stance on it. This was a carryover issue from the previous generation. It's a shame, I purchased a 14 X5 35d and loved it (after I RaceChipped it) but traded it with 17k miles for the 15 X5 50i. I didn't experience any CBU problem - probably because I didn't keep it long enough. I did have the dreaded CEL come on twice...shortly after purchase (which was uber annoying and embarrassing on a brand new car). Hopefully new and current 35d owners don't have the problem with CBU, but I didn't wanna risk it this time and bought gasser 6.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I specifically steered clear of the diesel this latest purchase due to the CBU issue and BMW's non-official stance on it. This was a carryover issue from the previous generation. It's a shame, I purchased a 14 X5 35d and loved it (after I RaceChipped it) but traded it with 17k miles for the 15 X5 50i. I didn't experience any CBU problem - probably because I didn't keep it long enough. I did have the dreaded CEL come on twice...shortly after purchase (which was uber annoying and embarrassing on a brand new car). Hopefully new and current 35d owners don't have the problem with CBU, but I didn't wanna risk it this time and bought gasser 6.
Why rid of my 13 X5d. Had similar mileage, little less. Everything replaced.
From sensors to converters, tanks, all emission parts.

Power was getting sluggish, so CBU at that low mileage would not have surprised me.
The 16 is pleasure to drive, the 13 with tractor steering and diesel motor noise was not.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
American issues. Those engines are made to be driven hard and fast. However, most of them here are used as grocery getter and never see 3K rpm.

·
Registered
435 Posts
American issues. Those engines are made to be driven hard and fast. However, most of them here are used as grocery getter and never see 3K rpm.
Oh i drove it hard and fast, believe me. 300 miles a week highway going 90 and had a racechip installed as well

·
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
1,917 Posts
Oh i drove it hard and fast, believe me. 300 miles a week highway going 90 and had a racechip installed as well
Most have few issues with the Diesel when the ECU is LEFT ALONE. Seems that it is the guys "chipping" that have the issues. I left mine alone and have not had any issues

·
Registered
435 Posts
The CBU has not been linked or directly related to any RaceChip use. Ford has a similiar problem with their F350 diesel. My dentist lives in a small city and only drives his to and from work and he has the same issue. Ford is aware of it and working on a fix. They have only offered to extend his warranty for him to date. The cause for this is all the ignorant EPA extra diesel emission equipment and crap from the govt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts