BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where in the Washington DC area or the Annapoils MD area I can have the 3M plastic coating applied to the front of my new 2002 330i? Thanks

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Can I just ask why you would want to do this? Do you travel frequently on unpaved roads? My car is black, so anything and everything shows, but I don't think I'd ever consider a plastic coating. Just curious... :dunno:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What can I say except that I have always taken "DINGS" on the front of my cars over the years. In traffic today, a truck was spraying "debris". Trying to prevent damage makes me think about getting X-pel. Just to make the car stay looking new.

Steve

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
Stevarino said:
Does anyone know where in the Washington DC area or the Annapoils MD area I can have the 3M plastic coating applied to the front of my new 2002 330i? Thanks
My dealership, Passport BMW, contracts this out to a very competent person who does professional work. You can barely tell the stuff is even on the front end. Call Joern Esser there and he can probably answer your questions. Not too far from Annapolis either.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
tsb said:
How sensitive is the 3 series paint (hood and front bumper) to chipping? Is some sort of protection necessary for limited highway driving?
Thanks to the EPA, all paints on all cars are more prone to chipping, due to adhesive agents that are no longer allowed to be mixed into the paint. (for about 3-4 years now) E-pel does a nice job because you can't notice it unless your really up close to the surface, or because it wasn't applied correctly. It's not a 3 series thing at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
the EPA mandated car manufacturers that sell cars in the US to switch over to more enviornmentaly friendly water-based paints to limit atmospheric polutants. Its not so much that they are "softer" as they are generally weaker and more brittle than old solvent based paints since they are applied in a very thin, semi dry layer that is then quickly heated in an almost powder-coating process. This semi-solid application is what also leads to the orange peeling. Nissan has had the biggest problem switching overto the new paints, just look here at a web page dedicated to compiling consumer complaints! http://www.maximapaint.com/ In time manufactures will refine the process but for now, factory paint quality will not be at the level it has been in the past. To exacerbate the problem, unlike the old days of chrome and rubber bumpers, nearly all new cars are made with large painted front bumpers that reach even lower to the ground. This will be a huge problem in the next few years, I dont think many people realise the amount of cars they will see on the road with completely sandblasted front ends. I see this all the time at our shop, even on cars that come to us with less than a hundred miles look like theyve been on the road for over a year. Hope that clears it up a bit. My company Invisiguard installs 3M automotive paint protection film, if anybody has any other questions feel free to mail me, [email protected]
Jeremy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts