• Nothing wrong here

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day ladies and gentlemen,
I bought an OBD scanner (Carista) for my E92 325i (pre-lci/non-lci) and pulled off all the error codes from the ECU and would like a bit of advise on the importance of the errors. So, I have 5 issues but none of them are displayed on a dashboard so far:

Engine fault - 2A98 - Crankshaft - inlet camshaft, correlation.
Alarm sensor - 9D12 - No description
Junction Box (passenger) (JBBF) - A6CF - JBE: AUC sensor
CAN network gateway - E18F - No description
Front passenger's seat - 9ECC - No description.

I knew about 9ECC since I have got heated seats and passenger's seat heating isn't working.

What should be priority for me to look at the issues? Did anyone come across the issues? If so, what was the fix?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then yeah, the 2A98 is the only concerning one. Do you have any performance problems?

Are you gonna eat that?
Well i dont have any performance issues just yet. But I guess it may lead to one. I dont care about comfort issues, but the engine issue is bothering me a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Think how fat and happy you were before you read the codes! If the car is running good and the mpg is normal, I'd forget the whole thing.
Oh well, all is fine with (mpg/no noise coming from engine bay) it apart of the error codes. So, i may very well ditch the idea of fixing it for now

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,181 Posts
Did the car have good oil change history, proper oil? its whole life?

The timing issue could be some sludge in a vanos solenoid or a cam position sensor. easy to clean out the solenoids- they can get slow with sludge

·
Registered
E93 335i, somewhat mod <> Fog City, CA
2,558 Posts
Oh well, all is fine with (mpg/no noise coming from engine bay) it apart of the error codes. So, i may very well ditch the idea of fixing it for now

Um....woe betide the procrastinating BMW pilot!

Are you really waiting for your ride to fail? Don't do it....no. Much is available on the Web for BMW error codes - just a few keystrokes away.

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,227 Posts
I did clear them. Those are the ones came back after 15 miles of driving😅
Well i dont have any performance issues just yet. But I guess it may lead to one. I dont care about comfort issues, but the engine issue is bothering me a bit.
Can "Carista" display "Freeze Frame Data" for Engine Conditions at the moment the 2A98 Fault Code was saved? They are saved in DME Fault Memory every time a Fault Code is saved in that Module.
Can "Carista" show "Live Data", such as Intake Cam Angle? That is a display of the DME calculation of Intake Cam Angle.
If you are paying a "Subscription Fee", such as $50 per year, MAKE "Carista" earn it by explaining (Customer Support?) what it can do beside reading Fault Codes (which it doesn't explain ;-). That is ONLY the first step in "Diagnostics".

The 2A98 Code results when the Crankshaft Sensor and Inlet Camshaft Sensor Signals are NOT consistent with each other. The fault COULD be (and likely IS) intermittent, as opposed to constant. The DME needs a Signal from the Crankshaft Sensor (Crankshaft speed/RPM) and ALSO at least ONE Camshaft Sensor, to be able to time Spark and Injector Pulse. Without a Cam signal, the DME doesn't know if a particular cylinder is on Compression Stroke or Exhaust Stroke. Does the SES light when the 2A98 code is saved?

FF Data & Live Data give additional CLUES as to when and how often a fault is occurring. You can also watch the RPM Live Data to see if there are any "Hiccups" in the Crank Sensor signal. An intermittent wiring or connector fault (loose or corroded sensor connector) can cause the 2A98 code.

INPA or ISTA (FREE BMW Diagnostic Software) will do ALL of the things described above. Why pay for some unsupported "App"? If you have a Windows Laptop, ONLY expense is $45 for BimmerGeeks K+DCAN cable to connect Computer USB port to OBD II Socket. Let us know if you want to do serious DIY (DIAGNOSE It Yourself ;-)
George

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can "Carista" display "Freeze Frame Data" for Engine Conditions at the moment the 2A98 Fault Code was saved? They are saved in DME Fault Memory every time a Fault Code is saved in that Module.
Can "Carista" show "Live Data", such as Intake Cam Angle? That is a display of the DME calculation of Intake Cam Angle.
If you are paying a "Subscription Fee", such as $50 per year, MAKE "Carista" earn it by explaining (Customer Support?) what it can do beside reading Fault Codes (which it doesn't explain ;-). That is ONLY the first step in "Diagnostics".

The 2A98 Code results when the Crankshaft Sensor and Inlet Camshaft Sensor Signals are NOT consistent with each other. The fault COULD be (and likely IS) intermittent, as opposed to constant. The DME needs a Signal from the Crankshaft Sensor (Crankshaft speed/RPM) and ALSO at least ONE Camshaft Sensor, to be able to time Spark and Injector Pulse. Without a Cam signal, the DME doesn't know if a particular cylinder is on Compression Stroke or Exhaust Stroke. Does the SES light when the 2A98 code is saved?

FF Data & Live Data give additional CLUES as to when and how often a fault is occurring. You can also watch the RPM Live Data to see if there are any "Hiccups" in the Crank Sensor signal. An intermittent wiring or connector fault (loose or corroded sensor connector) can cause the 2A98 code.

INPA or ISTA (FREE BMW Diagnostic Software) will do ALL of the things described above. Why pay for some unsupported "App"? If you have a Windows Laptop, ONLY expense is $45 for BimmerGeeks K+DCAN cable to connect Computer USB port to OBD II Socket. Let us know if you want to do serious DIY (DIAGNOSE It Yourself ;-)
George
Oh wow, thats really good points you mentioned here. Sorry, I am new to BMW world👀

SES light has never been on so far... I will give INPA/ISTA a shot. At least now i know where to look at.

In a meanwhile, been to a mechanics to do diagnostics and he straightaway told me to have a timing chain replacement due to timing chain being streched (he told that just by looking at the code...).... For a price of $2000 (labour+parts). Afaik, chains are lasting for quite a while(currently, car is at 120k miles which is less likely the time for chain to be replaced. Oil change been done almost every 15k miles)

Before dumping that much into engine repair, i will try to see how far can i get with INPA/ISTA software in terms of diagnostics. It very well may be a wiring/sensor/tensioner/VANOS solenoid as far as I see.

Got the cable on its way. Will spend some evenings reading through some manuals and user guides/videos on how to use INPA/ISTA software. Thanks for the help!

I will keep updating a thread with my progress.

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,227 Posts
SES light has never been on so far... I will give INPA/ISTA a shot. At least now i know where to look at.
In a meanwhile, been to a mechanics to do diagnostics and he straightaway told me to have a timing chain replacement due to timing chain being streched (he told that just by looking at the code...)....
Ever pay attention to the direction the crankshaft turns and the location of the Cam Sprockets on the timing chain in relation to the Crankshaft? The Crankshaft turns CLOCKWISE as viewed from the Front of the engine. That means it pulls the timing chain, which pulls the Intake Cam Sprocket, and finally the Exhaust Cam Sprocket.

So JUST HOW does your "Mek-Nicht" think a loose chain would cause the Intake Cam to be retarded or out of synch with Crankshaft, but Exhaust Cam, farther from Crankshaft sprocket along the SAME "stretched" chain does NOT have a similar code? There are guys on the E90Post Forum with 300,000 and 400,000 MILES on their engines, with original timing chain. I have owned half-a-dozen Jaguars with DOHC or SOHC engines (6 & 12-cylinder), and NEVER changed a timing Chain. My 33-year-old Jag XJ-S V-12 has never even had the cam covers off. :giggle:

Chain Tensioners and Guides can cause rattle, and some have reported fragments from plastic guides on SOME engines (4-cylinder as I recall), but I have NOT seen a properly-documented report of Actual Timing Chain Issue on the N52 or N51 engine in the four years I have followed the E9x forums closely. Don't even recall any on N54 or N55.

Did the "Mek-Nicht" use INPA or ISTA to view Live Data of Cam Angle or timing? When you get your cable, please let us know if you need any help downloading & Installing INPA (or ISTA ;-), and we can walk you through HOW to view that Live Data.
George

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ever pay attention to the direction the crankshaft turns and the location of the Cam Sprockets on the timing chain in relation to the Crankshaft? The Crankshaft turns CLOCKWISE as viewed from the Front of the engine. That means it pulls the timing chain, which pulls the Intake Cam Sprocket, and finally the Exhaust Cam Sprocket.

So JUST HOW does your "Mek-Nicht" think a loose chain would cause the Intake Cam to be retarded or out of synch with Crankshaft, but Exhaust Cam, farther from Crankshaft sprocket along the SAME "stretched" chain does NOT have a similar code? There are guys on the E90Post Forum with 300,000 and 400,000 MILES on their engines, with original timing chain. I have owned half-a-dozen Jaguars with DOHC or SOHC engines (6 & 12-cylinder), and NEVER changed a timing Chain. My 33-year-old Jag XJ-S V-12 has never even had the cam covers off. :giggle:

Chain Tensioners and Guides can cause rattle, and some have reported fragments from plastic guides on SOME engines (4-cylinder as I recall), but I have NOT seen a properly-documented report of Actual Timing Chain Issue on the N52 or N51 engine in the four years I have followed the E9x forums closely. Don't even recall any on N54 or N55.

Did the "Mek-Nicht" use INPA or ISTA to view Live Data of Cam Angle or timing? When you get your cable, please let us know if you need any help downloading & Installing INPA (or ISTA ;-), and we can walk you through HOW to view that Live Data.
George
Exactly. I have tried to find any N52 engine timing chain replacement guides and there is none. So, i suppose chains are made to last a while. Especially on N52. Did see some videos about N47 diesel engine timing chain failures but again - i guess it is a very rare occurance.

"Mechanic" didnt really do much rather than looking at the codes. So, he just pointed out at the fault that the error points to. I asked him about tensioner but he still insisted on timing chain replacement. Probably, never gonna be coming back to that garage.

I have checked INPA/ISTA software installs and it doesnt look overly complicated. However, i will need some help with the readings to look at because I am a bit unsure which readings I need to look at. As far as I see, error codes won't be of much use, right? I need to have a look at the engine readings when car is running, right?

UPD: When does VANOS solenoid becomes "engaged"? I have an idea to maybe reset the codes and drive car for a bit in low rev range(3-4k rpm max). If in such case VANOS system does not engage and there will be no error - I probably have an issue with VANOS system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts